'Quickshade' & 'Washes' - What's the Difference?

Help related to anything in the gaming world
onehappyman

Post by onehappyman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:18 pm

After a gap of 15 years I have returned to the hobby and have just bought some Front Rank WSS figures to create my first Allied Battalion (Brandenburg-Prussian).

I don't think my painting skills are going to be anything near as stunning as those shown on this site so I will need all the help I can get, hence my interest in Army Painter 'Quickshade'. As I am a novice can someone please explain the difference between a 'Dark Tone' Quickshade and 'Badab Black' Wash for example?

Mike.
Wiltshire UK
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:50 pm

Have no idea what Badab black wash is but the differecne between washes and Quick Shade are (as far as I know) as follows:

A Wash (either Acrylic or Enamel based) is a thin liquid shading that will run into the lower areas of the model and define the higher areas by creating a shadow.

Quick Shade is a stained varnish type liquid - quite thick which gloass varnishes the figure as well as providing the above effect. It also takes much longer to dry and is highly glossy.

I use it and then Matt varnish and highlight afterwards these days.

Hope this is helpful
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:34 am

barr7430 wrote: I use it and then Matt varnish and highlight afterwards these days.
The biggest conversion since Saul of Tarsus. :lol:

Mike,

On a serious note, if it weren't for Quickshade, I don't think I'd be painting at all. It gives a good wargemes standard of finish and, should you try it, I'll bet you'll be showing off a few battalions here in next to no time.

Regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:48 am

Badab Black is one of the new GW washes
They really are very good
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:14 am

I'd second valleyboy here - If you're new to the wash/shading thing you could do a lot worse than pick up a couple of pots from GW.

Personally I use the Devlan Mud as my wash as it tones skin, webbing, etc as well as shading the creases and lines on your figures and gives them a slightly weathered, campaigny look.

It has helped my rattle thru my lead pile in next to no time and does give an excellent wargames std finish to just about everything. It does still need varnished on top to complete the figure - I have been using a couple of coats of the GW matt stuff, simply because its readily available in my locale. My figures are in general painted with a mix of Vallejo and GW colours.

At around £2.50 a pot - if you find you dont like that method, you havent shelled out for the more expensive Army Painter product.

Hope this helps :)
All the Best

The Emir
onehappyman

Post by onehappyman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:32 pm

Thank you all for your advice. I shall try out the new GW Washes first and if they don't create the effect I am looking for then I will move on to Army Painter. As 'The Emir' says, at £2.50 per pot (compared to £18.00 for Army Painter) I have nothing to lose.

My order from 'Front Rank' for my first WSS Brandenburg-Prussian Allied Battalion has arrived and the figures are stunning. I also ordered some Kolinsky Sable brushes from 'Rosemary & Co' which have also just arrived and they are beautiful. The service from both companies was faultless.

Oh well, it's all down to me now. I certainly wont be able to blame the materials I'm working with for my painting results.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Mike.
Wiltshire UK