Varnish

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Varnish

Post by dashing blade » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:30 am

Varnish?
I dont think i've ever used Matt Varnish on my figures(mostly cos i want to repaint later) However i've reached a reasonable standard and want to save some figures from the threat of chipping.
Who does the best Matt Varnish,and how to apply?
Any thoughts :)

Ta.
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:47 am

It depends on your type of paint (acrylic vs. enamel), but as an acrylic paint user, I finish my figures with two thin coats of Windsor & Newton's "Galleria" Acrylic Matt Varnish (easy water clean-up). I feel it's 'matt' enough to bring out the transitions in colours, hard enough to protect the figures (it's OK to paint over for 'repairs' and re-varnish), yet still lets the lustre of metallics come through. I've most recently used this technique on the figures here: http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/fightin ... php?t=2670, so have a look and judge for yourself.
Bryce
Cameronian
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Cameronian » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:55 am

I've used Testors dull-coat and Army Painter (both sprays) and found both to work equally well.

A couple of snags however I've come across:
- both turn steel (WG 'boltgun metal' and/or 'chainmail') a dull grey, so re-touching is necessary on weapons and armour
- inkjet paper flags are destroyed, so for me be-flagging is the absolutely last step in a project
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:45 am

in the past i've used good old humbrol but now usually use Windsor & Newton, Gloss then a Matt on top.
I've used army painter. no problems but it is REALLY matt.Sometimes leaves the figures with a strange dry feel.works fine though.
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:28 am

There's a great Matt varnish called HMG available from Figures in Comfort- it gives the flattest matt finnish that i have ever encountered.

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
subedai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by subedai » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:34 pm

I use Ultra Tough Hardglaze Clear Varnish (from the local large Homebase) as my first coat as gloss is inherently stronger and more resilient than matt, and for my top coat I use Daler-Rowney Soluble Matt Varnish (available from all good art shops). this way I have the strength of the gloss coupled with the flatness of the matt. Unfortunately both of these are enamel so turps or similar is required to clean the brush.
If one member of a synchronised swimming team drowns, do they all follow suit?
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:42 pm

It depends.

I have a collection of varnishes that I use. My spaceships and sci-fi figures I will spray with Testors Gloss Coat or Krylon satin to leave them shiny.

Any time I am working with decals or transfers, I follow the guide on the Little Big Man packages. I'll varnish the transfer with Delta Ceramicoat brish on varish, then hit the entire unit with first a coat of Krylon Gloss, then Army Builder Matt Varnish to take the shine off.

If I don't have transfers, I just use the Army Builder Matt Varnish.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.