WSS Smackdown - a new project

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
jezamonos
Captain
Captain

WSS Smackdown - a new project

Post by jezamonos » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Well its a new year so time for a new project. I had never thought about this period until a friend mentioned it. He already has a pile of French to paint and asked if Id be interested in doing the grand alliance. Show me some pretty pictures I said and i will be convinced, a quick email later and I was already planning what i would be getting. That was back in March and little progress has been made apart from the purchasing of figures as I wanted to focus on my cold war stuff. Now i have broken the back of that I can start work on this.

We will be using Beneth the Lily Banners rules. I have read through these rules a few times and it looks to be a good set. Im looking forward to playing a game once we have a few regiments painted up.

I will be getting a mixture of Dutch, English, Scots, Danish. Each regiment is a standard size of 18 figures for infantry, 6 for a squadron of cavalry. They will be based on steel bases that I have got from Ian Carbutt. Excellent quality and great service but not postie friendly as they weigh a ton !
Owner - Default Models
http://defaultmodels.blogspot.com/
jezamonos
Captain
Captain

Re: WSS Smackdown - a new project

Post by jezamonos » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:08 pm

So this is what I have started with. A few bits to test colours and styles to see what works. This is the first of my brigade command stands:

I then started on the first regiment. I wanted to base my force around the battle of blenhiem in 1704 so worked with the order of battle from the book "Marlborough goes to war" by Iain Stanford. For my Dutch brigade I will be doing that of the Prinz of Holstein-Beck which contained

Goor IR (Dutch)
Rechteren IR (Dutch)
Sturler (Swiss in Dutch service)
Hirzel (Swiss in Dutch service)
Heidebrecht (Ansbach)

So I couldnt find any information for the flag of Goor so have replaced them with another Dutch regiment, Waes. They are very similar in uniforms. The flag is from Maverick Models on material but I have also done further work on it. Figures are from Front Rank.

Was happy with how the command stand turned out so started doing a few more bits. Guns in the rules are in three categories; light, field and gun of position.

Here we have a field gun and a gun of position. These allowed me to try out some different colours and styles for the different clothes.

Within the rules, you have to give orders to your troops. These can be changed by sending a courier

And for the build, I am starting on the Sturler infantry regiment. These I am using French figures as they are Swiss but have added some sprigs of heather to the hats. This was used to identify troops from armies as a lot of nations had similar colour coats. I am also doing the Prinz of Holstein-Beck too.

I will be posting in this as i progress this year
Owner - Default Models
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Damn, they look good!

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
kippax
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by kippax » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm already jealous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
carry on the good work Jez
"Stupid Boy"
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:55 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jezamonos
Captain
Captain

Post by jezamonos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi Ray,

I'm planning on doing 9 battalions of English/scots from the three brigades or Rowe, Webb and Fergusson for the english contingent. These will form two brigades in my army. I am then doing holstein becks brigade as per the blenhiem orbat. I will also be doing the english cavalry and dragoons but also some of the Erbprinz of Hesse Kassel command from the centre for added variety.
If I do expand further (highly likely) then I will do hulsen and seckendorff brigades and more cavalry.
Owner - Default Models