Which army

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Which army

Post by Saxon Warrior » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:08 am

Being very satisfied with the sample Warfare Miniature miniatures I ordered, I've decided to go for it. But the question is which army?
I'm tempted by the Jacobites, but I'm detered by the lack of information, perhaps if a wargamers guide were available... :roll:
So does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
DaveB.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Re: Which army

Post by j1mwallace » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 am

Go for the winning side!!.Ignore the trouble making Jacobites! :lol:
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:57 pm

Ray wrote "Talking about the Supplement for the War in Ireland...yeah whats happened to that ?"

Ray, I'm sure that Barry will keep everyone up to speed when the supplement is nearing completion,much the same as he did with both BLB & R2E.

At the moment, due to some very pressing domestic matters, I think that this is quite a way down on his list of priorities, but as ever he finds both time & energy to continue with both his private life & the demands of the wargaming fraternity.

I'm sure you are not alone in anticipating the book, but you will just have to be patient.

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:51 am

If you're worried about the sparsity of information, then a French force is probably the best documented. Bavarians are also a possibility - there's a lot of info about the Blue King's reign.

If you're the only one with a 9YW/WSS force, you'd best look at a matched pair. French/Dutch or French/Imperialist are possibilities, though you could also go French/Spanish or Bavarian/Imperialist.

If you go Bavarian, you can always fight for either side - it's a good addition if your club already is established in the period!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:28 am

One of the things my fellow esteemed gamers have not mentioned yet is that everybody wore every color early on. So you can have a unit painted in red coats with blue facings and they are King James troops, Dutch, English, Danish, Spanish, Swiss or Piedmont. Grey coats with blue facings? French, Dutch, Danes, Piedmont, French Huguenot, you get the idea, etc. The only difference being is the flag. With the diversity of uniforms fighting for every side you can field just about any army with a little research.

I would start with Rays idea and pick your period then research the players and pick your army. Hopefully you're not in the situation I am and have to build both sides. (...as mentioned above a simple flag swap comes in handy)

Have fun
Joe
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:19 am

flick40 wrote:....

I would start with Rays idea and pick your period then research the players and pick your army. Hopefully you're not in the situation I am and have to build both sides. (...as mentioned above a simple flag swap comes in handy)

Have fun
Joe
It is allways at first the questions WHERE and WHEN?
After that decission is made the remaining things fall into their place.

This kind of Warfare season does not start or end with a certain battle but is an allmost continous time of warfare accross Europe.
Btw. Joe, same thing with both sides here.

The decission is yours DaveB
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:06 am

toggy wrote:At the moment, due to some very pressing domestic matters, I think that this is quite a way down on his list of priorities, but as ever he finds both time & energy to continue with both his private life & the demands of the wargaming fraternity.
We have no less than three or four projects going and the Jacobite War supplement is one of them. Real life has intruded into our efforts across several fronts, but rest assured there are lots of cool things on the way. The Crimean supplement for R2E, Four Empires, jumped the line for a couple of reasons and will probably be the next offering, but work on the Glorious Revolution book should follow later this year.