Where is WARFARE range going next?

Information related to WARFARE MINIATURES releases, future releases, range development, painting, figure usage, conversions
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Where is WARFARE range going next?

Post by obriendavid » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Judging by the texts I got from Barry at the Istanbul Military Museum, Warfare Miniatures will be getting a taste of Turkish Delight.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:08 pm

Well, I think the Imperialists would be a start! 8) although by the email traffic I have been getting I think I would get lynched if I don't do a few French first!
The scope for expansion is pretty enormous and I have pretty much committed in a business plan now to at least 40 new sculpts in the next 12 months from which head variants etc can be created so that means quite a lot of new minis...

The next task is getting the cavalry into production... should begin to happen next week.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:38 am

Here is an accurate update on the way the cavalry will be released over the next couple of months. I visited the manufacturing facility this week and had a fantastic discussion with the team plus two long discussions with Clibinarium regarding range expansion.

Clearly the cavalry are the pre eminent element of war in this period. For that reason we will offer maximum options on variants as follows:

Pack 1 TROOPERS on standing horses.
Pack 2 TROOPERS on galloping/charging horses.
Pack 3 COMMAND 1
Pack 4 ENTHUSIASTIC TROOPERS 1
Pack 5 ENTHUSIASTIC TROOPERS 2
Pack 6 ENTHUSIASTIC COMMAND
Pack 7 CUIRASSIERS (Continental helmets) coat under cuirass
Pack 8 CUIRASSIERS (Continental helmets) coat over cuirass
Pack 9 CUIRASSIERS (English helmets) coat under cuirass
Pack 10 CUIRASSIERS (English helmets) coat over cuirass
Pack 11 CUIRASSIERS (hat) coat under cuirass
Pack 12 CUIRASSIERS (hat) coat over cuirass
Pack 13 CUIRASSIERS COMMAND
Pack 14 General Officers

All of the above packs will be released during the months of May and June. The 'Enthusiastic' cavalry have up to this point been seen under the working title of Jacobite Horse. I am delighted to say that now there will be 6 individual poses in this set rather than the original 4. These will include a casualty. A new cornet and trumpeter to match are also being sculpted.

The follow on will include mounted dragoons

Henry Ford
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:25 am

Just wondering, in which armies did cuirassiers wear the cuirass under the coat?
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Fri May 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Great news on the cavalry Barry, now I've got no excuses left for finely starting my 1683 Austrian's to fight Mark's Ottomans :lol:

Look forward to catching up with you at Partizan in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Stuart
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Fri May 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Dfogleman2 wrote:Just wondering, in which armies did cuirassiers wear the cuirass under the coat?
The French, maybe some British regiments, possibly some Dutch and Germans. I believe the Saxons did, but that may be later in the period.

Catalans surviving to 1713 did not, but I don't know about any of the Italian troops or other Spaniards (for both sides).
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Aha! Mr Tash! Hello to you down there :lol:

Yes we can have a catch up at Partizan (if anyone turns up after being gazumped by Triples yet again). The game we are putting on will feature only Warfare minis as fighting units. Some other manufacturers stuff for supernums etc. Adrian's beautiful terrain again with troops by Ade, Toggy and I. May even have a cavalry unit finished if I can manage although I have a trip to Qatar between now and then!

The Cuirassiers will be followed by some unusual additions relating to cuirassiers... have already floated the idea with the sculptor so it will go once we get a chunk of the mounted stuff out.

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat May 05, 2012 2:01 am

Armoured infantry for the assault on Athlone?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat May 05, 2012 3:44 am

Dfogleman2 wrote:Just wondering, in which armies did cuirassiers wear the cuirass under the coat?
According to Dan Schorr's marvelous research the Saxons Troopers wore the Cuirasses under their Red Coat.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:35 am

No fair guessing! 8)

The Carronade Show yesterday offered a great chance to showcase the range. For the first time, I used only Warfare minis painted by Bob and myself and apart from a couple of brigade commander figures and civilians, used no other manufacturer's models on the table. The game looked very attractive. I felt very comfortable with the whole thing knowing that once the cavalry are released the entire shape of the range will alter.

I did not take pictures but Andy did and if you have seen his photos in the R2E Games gallery you'll know what to expect. He will be sending those to me shortly for uploading here.

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon May 07, 2012 12:06 am

barr7430 wrote:For the first time, I used only Warfare minis painted by Bob and myself and apart from a couple of brigade commander figures and civilians, used no other manufacturer's models on the table.
Did you record the service records of the new units like you used to do?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:09 am

Alas no but this process may start again with the new collection. I am 'retiring' all the other stuff from the convention circuit so it won't be seen in public again except if I have to press it into service for a large BLB game on a weekender.

Henry Ford
verulam

Post by verulam » Sat May 12, 2012 10:39 am

All this talk of seige characters etc reminds me of a visit I paid to the Pattern Room of the Royal Small Arms factory at Enfield many years ago .

I was shown by the currator( who knew a thing ot two about firearms) a William III grenade throwing musket.

This had a steel semicircular cup inserted like a plug bayonet into the muzzle.

The interesting thing was that you had to light the bomb before firing the weapon, hoping that it would not misfire. Not sure how these went down in service or how many were produced.

It would seem that this was fired from the shoulder.

Now that would make an unusual charactter figure.
Arthur
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Arthur » Sun May 13, 2012 5:28 pm

Rob Herrick wrote:
The French, maybe some British regiments, possibly some Dutch and Germans. I believe the Saxons did, but that may be later in the period.
French cavalrymen didn't wear any armour during the reign of Louis XIV apart from the Cuirassiers du Roi. Officers were supposed to wear back and breast plates in the field from 1675 but they seem to have largely disregarded this obligation, to the extent that a new ordinance had to be passed in 1705 to remind them to wear their cuirasses.

Generally speaking, body armour went out of fashion in the French cavalry during the 1660's, the buff coat being thought sufficient to protect the men from most sword cuts. The breastplate - known as a plastron - was not reintroduced until after the death of Louis XIV, possibly during the regency of Philippe d'Orléans and definitely in the early reign of Louis XV. A royal ordinance dated May 28 1733 made it compulsory for all maîtres serving in the light cavalry regiments, although many troopers seem to have neglected to wear it on campaign as they found it needlessly heavy and cumbersome. During the 1730's, 40's and 50's, the breastplate could be worn indifferently under or over the coat.

In the English cavalry, the breastplate was worn under the coat and would appear to have been introduced sometime during the WSS, possibly around 1706 or 1707.

Not sure about the Dutch : I can't recall reading anything about United Provinces cavalry wearing breastplates but Mats and Motorway are more qualified than I am to answer that question anyway.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon May 14, 2012 12:55 am

In Peter Ellis' The Boyne Water, there is a single sentence on the Danish cavalry (page 96 in my copy)...

The cavalry regiments were armed with long swords and protected by breast and back plates.

There are no footnotes to cite the specific source and I've not seen this mentioned elsewhere, but I thought I might use cuirassiers for my Danish horse units when I get that far along...