LoGW history and roster

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

LoGW history and roster

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:00 pm

You might be interested to know (or possibly you couldn't care less) that this weekends game was our 24th weekend for the LoGW. Our first game was back in Stonehaven in 2004 when we fought another WW2 battle, Magnusiew.
In total we have fought
- 6 WW2 games
- 9 Napoleonic games from Russia to the Peninsular
- 2 Western
- 1 Crimea
- 1 Indian Mutiny
- 1 Vietnam
- 1 Pirate
- 1 Marlburian
- 1 VBCW
- 1 Back of Beyond

Over the years, 27 regulars and guests have joined us with a small band making it to every game.

Strange to think we have been gaming together as a group for over 8 years. Long may it continue.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: LoGW history and roster

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:26 pm

We've actually fought two Back of Beyond weekends Peter.
Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks Dave. We have fought 25 weekends now together!

In total we have fought
- 6 WW2 games
- 9 Napoleonic games from Russia to the Peninsular
- 2 Western
- 1 Crimea
- 1 Indian Mutiny
- 1 Vietnam
- 1 Pirate
- 1 Marlburian
- 1 VBCW
- 2 Back of Beyond
Peter

Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Peter, the first meeting was in Kirriemuir in the Airlie Hotel and it came about as follows.

Kirriemuir and District Wargames Society split in March 2004. Immediate action was taken to confirm contacts with some of the important clubs/groups in Scotland and the suggestion was made that a very large game be run over a weekend in Kirriemuir. It was to be a Napoleonic game basically because it was what I had most figures for although some of them were decades old.

The majority of those present were from the re-named Kirriemuir Wargames Club and the others invited included The League of Augsburg which at that time were Barry Hilton, Phil Olley and David Imrie, and I believe the Iron Brigade of Kevin Finlay, Andy and Andy and youself Peter. I don't think all seven of the above were able to come along but there were 12 - 15 KWC members including four of our juniors, all adults now. I have a note somewhere of those who did finally attend. When I find it I'll pass on the list.

Over the course of the weekend we agreed to meet two or three times a year and Michael Anderson jokingly said that we should call ourselves The League of Gentlemen Wargamers referring to The League of Augsburg and the highly entertaing TV series, The League of Gentlemen. We all just laughed at the idea at the time but it must have chimed with some, particularly Barry.

The next game was in Stonehaven when a number of others were invited and thereafter the sequence each year was roughly two meetings in Kirriemuir and then one in Stonehaven until several years ago. From then all of the meetings have been in Kirriemuir. After the fire in the Airlie Hotel the venue was moved to the Guide Hall, Kirriemuir which has proved popular since so many of the facilities are to hand and we don't need to hire a van to move boards, kindly lent by KWC, and tables which are under my stewardship.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Well now, we have two official and potentially rival biographers :lol: You can see even from this little exchange between great friends how history itself has produced such controversial and differing views of the SAME sequence of events :lol:
The fact is, these weekenders have come to punctuate the very hectic lives of our core group with special little moments of stress relief and mark out some truly memorable and happy times. Great collections, great games, great conversation, great drinking, great ideas and great friendship. The fact that we are not a club, have no office bearers, no funds, no rules but manage to run consistently outstanding events with total commitment from everyone is either a strong argument for volunteer armies or anarchy! :wink:

Long may it continue.... a winning formula which would be extremely difficult to replicate
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:16 pm

By the way, I calculate that my attendance record is 94% (Taking the 25 weekends and dividing them into days - 50 days. I have missed 3 days or 1.5 events.... non attendance of 1 Western weekender and leaving to travel half way through a Peninsular bash)..... Not sure who the 100%ERs are but I am guessing:

Dale,Colin and possibly Peter N?

Am I right biographers?

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Colin won't be a 100%er as he didn't start coming until after the first Stonehaven game. It wasn't Mike Anderson that came up with the name it was me that suggested it as a group title. Irrespective of 100%er's and group titles I have to agree with Barry that what we have/had has been nothing short of brilliant and long may it continue.
Cheers
Dave
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:36 pm

The first get togeather we had was as follows:
1. Battle of Magnuzew 1944
2. Addapted Micro Armour rules
3. All players were German, Russians controlled by the umpires
4. Participants:
Dale Smith, Peter Nicholson, Dave o Brien, Steve Shaw,
Andrew Thomson, Kevin Calder, Mike Anderson, Dave Imrie.
Umpires:
Barry Hilton, Phil Olley

Andrew Nicholson I think called in to see the game,became hooked and the rest is history.

The second weekender took place in Kirrie and was a Napoleonic game which I was unable to attend.

Kev
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:40 am

Thanks guys,

I have a tentative roster of our first 25 games which I will circulate for your comments. Kevin's recollection is teh same as mine that we played at the Heugh Hotel, Stonehaven first and then moved to the Airlie,Kirriemuir.
Peter

Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 am

I was at the 2nd (1st Kirrie game) LoGW weekender, 'Dresden' I think, using GdeB rules.

I only knew Barry and Phil, and it was them that invited me up, and it is them that are responsible for you all suffering from my presence ever-since...!!!!!!

Adrian 'stuck with me' Howe
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:50 pm

The oracle will have to be consulted to establish which was the first event, not that it matters greatly. For oracle read diaries. I have a note in my diary from 2004 which also lists those who were there. Now all I have to do is find my diary!

I still have many of my notes from the Dresden game. It was not the first Napoleonic game in the Airlie.

So now I should find my diaries and the Dresden notes, oh and a slice of humble pie if I'm wrong. Lucky I like pies!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Dear Pie Muncher, I think you may have to take the
MIKE ANDERSON CHALLENGE

so called because only Mike ' Muncher' Anderson has thus far been capable of grazing for 48 hours interspersed with main meals for a break! :shock:

My recollection is the same as Kev and Peter... that is... Heugh Magnusiew 1944 was the 1st ever gathering of the Clan Mc LoGW'ers. I have photo evidence of the game which is I think.... dated in a file on my home computer. I recall that Dresden was the second outing as Ade attended. If Dresden was the first then Ade would have been at Stoney for Magnusiew! Now Pie Muncher, I know you are not acustomed to 'back chat' from your pupils but we are an anarchistic bunch and I want to see you take the MA Challenge.... produce your evidence Sir! The public demands it!!!!

Henry Ford
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:56 pm

Get back there in line Hilton, and straighten that tie at once!

Your records/photos/dates will be good enough for me.

Peter, do you have a date for the WW II game? That would be a double confirmation.

Barry, no-one, and I mean no-one is going to meet the Michael Anderson pie challenge and I don't want to be there to see it if someone tries. :lol:

A first! A first! I think I've just used my first ever smilie.
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:50 pm

The date was 15/16th May 2004.
Kev
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:47 pm

b l o o d y h e l l .... 8 years ago that is a very scary thought... and Dave O'Brien hasn't been on the winning side yet! :lol:

Henry Ford