The Road to Perdition III

general discussion points related to gaming, painting and modelling in this period
Malletus Scotorum
Private
Private

Re: The Road to Perdition III

Post by Malletus Scotorum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:56 pm

Excellent figures Jim, some real character in there
Ian

http://fcailza.blogspot.co.uk/ My occasional blog.

‘A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd’
King Edward I
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:02 pm

Officers and MGs

Mortars

Characters

Cavalry Command Rear

Cavalry Command Front

Sonderkraftfahrzeug 251/1 "Hanomag"

I have been a busy little boy over the weekend and it's really good to be back into painting with a vengeance and yes, Dave O'Brien, I know I should have used a paintbrush. From a preview of the Bolt Action rules, it looks as if they are a cross between Warhammer 40K and Black Powder. They have points values (a big NO), but can be played with a re-enforced platoon on each side (a big YES), which means that I don't have to break the bank to get a sustainable force and, of course, will not be touching the points values with a barge pole.

The rule mechanisms look good with almost simultaneous actions: say there are five German and six French units on the table. Eleven order dice of two different colours are put into a bag and drawn out one at a time. That way all units get to go but no one knows in which order.

It was written by Alessio Cavatore and Rick Priestley and is published by Warlord Games in conjunction with Osprey.

I intend to collect a platoon each of Germans and French or Krauts and Frogs for the Politically Correct amongst you. The more prurient WFP out there may have already noticed that the the model in the last image is an Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. D armed with MG42s and not an Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. C armed with MG34s as would befit the period 1939 to 1940 since the buggers at Warlord Games don't currently do one and I'm damned if my wee men are going to walk to work.

I have really missed you guys and hope at some stage to be able to get back together with all of you.

Jim
Last edited by CoffinDodger on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:52 pm

CoffinDodger wrote: I have been a busy little boy over the weekend and it's really good to be back into painting with a vengeance and yes, Dave O'Brien, I know I should have used a paintbrush. The more prurient WFP out there may have already noticed that the the model in the last image is an Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. D armed with MG42s and not an Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. A armed with MG34s as would befit the period 1939 to 1940 since the buggers at Warlord Games don't currently do one and I'm damned if my wee men are going to walk to work.
Jim, whatever you are using instead of a paintbrush is producing a nice job, I especially like the guy with the large candy floss. :lol:
You will probably find that contrary to what most people think the Germans would probably be travelling in a truck and not a hanno as there weren't that many in the early years. Even the armoured infantry in the Panzer Divisions mostly travelled in trucks as there was usually only enough hanno's for one company.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Dave
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:39 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the kind comments. I actually did some research on this and there were Hanomag ferried troops attached to 1st Panzer Division in both Poland and France and were called Panzerschützen. There weren't very many and, as you said, most divisions only had a company of them but I believe 1st Panzer fielded a battalion. I just couldn't resist them.

Ray,

I will send you a P.M.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 am

CoffinDodger wrote:Dave,
Thanks for the kind comments. I actually did some research on this and there were Hanomag ferried troops attached to 1st Panzer Division in both Poland and France and were called Panzerschützen. There weren't very many and, as you said, most divisions only had a company of them but I believe 1st Panzer fielded a battalion. I just couldn't resist them.
Jim
Jim, I had assumed that you were just painting a cavalry unit with mounted and dismounted versions which is why I made the comment about the hano's and as you said, sometimes items come along that you just cannot resist. I look forward to seeing all your French riding in Char B's :lol:
I have to admit that I love the French army from that period despite the final outcome and in lower level actions they performed much better than the final outcome would lead you to believe. Now I'll never hear the end of it from Barry for saying I like the French :shock:
Cheers
Dave
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Dave and Ray,

Finally, a Hanomag and Squad:

Hanomag and Squad

There will eventually be four of these in the platoon.

Regards,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:09 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Churchill wrote: ...Apart from the motorised infantry platoon, can you buy divisional support too :?:
Hi Ray,

Yes you can - as O'Bama would say and that is my intention. I'm thinking along the lines of some Panzer 1s with the twin machine guns to give the Froggies a fighting chance. I'll also be investing in some infantry guns and anti-tank guns.

Oh and the wee guy with the flare... he thought it was Hitler's birthday.

Regards,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:03 am

Oberst Kurt Steiner at Studley Constable I

Oberst Kurt Steiner at Studley Constable II

Hans and Neils Caught Smoking and Texting?

A bit of fun with some Bolt Action figures.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:42 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:55 am

The French Arrive at Last

This now makes the third French army that I am collecting, the other two being Napoleonic and Louis XIV.

They are weighed down with equipment; the average peloton carries enough to open a three-star Michelin restaurant. Their water bottles contain either Vichy water or a good claret and would never be filled from a river. The coats are buttoned back to allow freedom of movement and this enables them to run faster.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:55 am

Very nice Jim. You've got the colour of the French khaki and the green helmets just right.

DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:32 am

Mr Plaza-Toro,*

Thank you for the kind comments. I must say though that your regiment of the 29th circa 1792 is looking splendid indeed. Your three-step murky white is not to be surpassed.

*Did not wish to address you as Duke in case the 29th pack you off to Madame Guillotine. Liberte, Egalitie et Sodomie is what I say.

Regards,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.