Finally finished my latest French Revolution unit

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Finally finished my latest French Revolution unit

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Took me a while (a few distractions) - but the 29th Régiment de Ligne c.1792-93 is now up on the 'World Crisis in Miniature' blog, together with a few words about how I paint white uniforms and hand paint my flags.

Salutations
DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: Finally finished my latest French Revolution unit

Post by flick40 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:58 pm

And people dont like pink... those are lovely!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Those look lovely! you have made a great job of the painting and I love the flag, wish I could afford those Eureka minis.
I'm just finishing my basic Vendean Royalist force for Clarence's skirmish rules and I would love to add some of these the Republican force to face them.
Cheers
Dave
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:09 pm

I must second Dave's comments, if I could afford Eureka I would, but the paint job is fantastic. Very well done.
Dave.
'I always wear me wellies'.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:28 am

Thank you very much gentlemen.

Yes, I can quite understand why the cost of these great figures can be off-putting to you chaps overseas.

I dropped into Eureka only yesterday afternoon to pick up some paint and Nic and I had a chat, both bewailing the continued strength of the Aussie Dollar and the disparity in international exchange rates that now makes his figures so 'expensive' beyond these shores. I know most of you are aware of the reasons, but just in case there is anyone reading this who thinks Eureka are just a gang of capitalist exploiters - around three years ago the au$ was still worth about 70 US cents and 40 pence (as it had been for most of the preceding two decades). These days (post GFC) it's sitting at 103 US Cents and 65 pence (and has been for the last 22 months). You don't have to be a qualified economist to guess what that did to Eureka's overseas prices and the damaging effect it has had on their overseas order books...

It's a continued disparity that Nic and I increasingly find difficult to comprehend as the Australian economy is getting decidedly shaky in some areas, such as retail and manufacturing. Most Australians love it of course, because they can go on-line and buy stuff overseas for a fraction of the price they see in their local shops (I can buy books on-line from the US or the UK for the equivalent of almost wholesale price here in Oz!) It's ridiculous really and unsustainable you'd have thought - we're just waiting for the 'adjustment' and then hopefully Eureka's figures will become more affordable again for you chaps.

DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 am

Very nice as usual. I hope that you don't mind but I've hopefully nudged a discussion on figure prices. I've never had a problem paying a little extra for premium figures!
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:30 pm

Don't think of the color as pink, think of it as 'rose'. :) Excellent painting on those equally excellent figures.
Greg