Borodino weekend

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
Charles Grant

Re: Borodino weekend

Post by Charles Grant » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Dear All, So everybody won! What more can one ask for?
What a brilliant game and I agree, one of the very best. Well done Barry, it was a masterpiece of organisation and with most of us being reasonably familiar with the rules it was great to see that you got a game too – and what a game! What a wonderful array of figures – all in all a real treat to be a part of it. Thank you all for your great company. Yours aye, Charles
PS. Dave, there was a question about artillery unlimbering and firing in the same move but I think we know the answer – well most of us! C
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:01 pm

....who gave me that last 'bad pint of vodka'......?

....can smell............... garlic..... ?

.....only thing I can hear is a lot of .....haw-hee, haw-hee, haw-hee - 'mon dieu'....?

....where's that bloody 'de Tolly'...!!!!!!!!!!

'Kutusov'
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Charles Grant wrote:Dear All, So everybody won! What more can one ask for?
Well said Charles and put more fairly than the tabloid propoganda that Frenchy Hilton has been spouting :lol:
I can definitely see a job for him as a 'journalist' at the Sun or Daily Mirror should he wish a career change :wink:

As a group I think we are extremely fortunate to be able to take part in such fantastic games and I'm sure there are many jealous wargamers that would love to have taken part in a game like this plus all the socializing that goes on, it's just a pity I wasn't feeling up to it on the Saturday night to keep going, it must have been due to the pressure of rolling so many 6's against poor Kev.

I also loved seeing all your seige material and look forward to seeing it published and also thanks to Kev for bring along his ACW card collection, it brought back many memories.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Yes this has been funny.... almost as funny as Kutyertoesoff and his dice rolling in the tile of death.

Charles, Ade, Dave please check your emails as I have requested your help on a siege related matter which may be to all of our mutual benefit :wink:

The cards from Kev were a real piece of history.. thanks Kev for that.

Anyway Dave, about unlimbering.......... I thought I could fire, is that not right :lol: ?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:54 pm

barr7430 wrote: Yes this has been funny.... Anyway Dave, about unlimbering.......... I thought I could fire, is that not right :lol: ?
Only if you're Dale :wink:

There's a good battle report and a number of pics on Angus' site
http://www.edinburghwargames.com/Journal%2076.htm
Cheers
Dave
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Surely the most spectacular Napoleonic game we have done so far, and the 4 table layout as opposed to the usual big table and pop ups made everything much more accessable.
After losing 2 Divisions in as many days I can't really think of any highlights but I am consoling myself with the fact that they were only French.
As always thanks to everyone for a great weekend it was a pleasure to spend time with you all.

Kev
aka The Other One.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:37 pm

Couldn't find any battle report on Angus's site the link just went to some colonial stuff.

Henry Ford
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi Barry, if you click on the journal tab it should take you to it.
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:26 pm

barr7430 wrote:Couldn't find any battle report on Angus's site the link just went to some colonial stuff.
Goes right to it if you click on the link I posted, just tried it again and it worked fine.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 pm

General Schnapps wrote: After losing 2 Divisions in as many days I can't really think of any highlights but I am consoling myself with the fact that they were only French.

Sorry about that Kev :lol:
as I said at the time your dice obviously knew they were on the wrong side and refused to perform.
Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:55 am

Gents , another wonderful gaming weekend with lots to talk about.

The figure count for cavalry looks light at 600 given that I supplied over 200 French and 250 Russian, almost all of whom were on the tables and with everyone else's figures I would have thought we had more. Needless to say I am now working on adding the Pavlograd and Isumksi Hussars and another unit of Mounted Jaegers to feed my obsession.

Dale and I had a great ding dong battle around Utitsa. Yes he did break through once (and only once) but was immediately kicked out again. I reinforced the town with my Pavlov's and a Priest and he didn't get a foothold again. Our table enjoyed more than its fair share of routing on both sides. Some of Dale's Poles routed off table without ever suffering a casualty or inflicting a shot whilst I lost two brigades to rout defending a hill.

My Russian Cossacks enjoyed a rumble chasing down a couple of routing Polish regiments and Dale's lancers responded in kind but other than that our combined cavalry saw little action.

I am looking forward to the next three years when we can play out the anniversaries of a few other Napoleonic battles. Perhaps we should start with Napoleonc's retreat from Moscow!

Barry, thanks again for organising a great weekend. The labels alone must have taken you a few days to prepare.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:06 pm

It would be nice to say that the V Corps (Duchy of Warsaw Polish) troops were licking their wounds after a challenging combat but, if the truth be told, I too had the “anything but a 1 habit/lurgy” over the weekend and at least six battalions routed, not just without taking a casualty but also without even seeing the enemy! However, many of my brave Polish children fought to the end or the last base without flinching.

Utitsa was piled up with brave soldiers from both sides all Utitsa up! Despite repeated efforts to regain Utitsa the stubborn Ruskies held on comfortably. The hill to the south of Utitsa was cleared on the first day but the umpires, in their wisdom, withdrew the Poles overnight and they had to start all over again. The only success for the Poles was to clear and take the hill again on the second day with even more aplomb than on day one. Of course the Poles were then hit by a well sited and sighted battery of 12pdr guns which could hit every move with devastating effect each move. That pesky battery destroyed battalion after battalion on both sides of Utitsa recording a mighty 11 hits on one move.

The Russian army had a pretty easy game of it on their left flank against the Poles, with Peter (the grape) commanding and rolling well whilst I rolled my one sided dice for two days. The Russians well deserved their win on our table and Poniatowski will be lucky to hang on to his V Corps after a mediocre performance.

The commander of my initial 6pdr battery will face court martial and summary execution for losing all of his limbers in move one and inflicting only one casualty over two days. The surviving single crew must be back in Poland already, along with a substantial contingent of untouched battalions who scarpered with brigade commanders in tow.

Well done to Peter who thrashed me and to the completely unbiased umpires and organizers, Barry and Dave and many thanks to Jack who lent many of the Poles and other forces too.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:33 pm

That's a good report Dale unlike the sensationalist tabloid journalism from Frenchy Hilton. :wink:
Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Dale, to your absolute credit you were without doubt at the most agressive I have ever seen you play. Full on assault from move one. You were indeed unfortunate to lose so much of your horse artillery battery upon the first shots from the Russian defenders in Utitsa. Upon such moves are battles won and lost.

Thanks again for your sporting play. We did our fair share of rules lawyering and challenging of dubious decisions but all in good humour and spirit. Thanks too to Dave for so ably umpiring and providing the rules clarificiation.

I am hopeful that for the next outing some of my units might get upgraded to at least Veteran status. They fought well enough to deserve it. I will also make sure that I paint up at least another two Priests!
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks for all the praise on organizing but Dave must take credit for the table plan 8)

He is making me sound like a character from the movie 'Grease'... Frenchy!

I know he doesn't mean it, he just hates to lose :lol: understandable as he experiences it so often :wink:

Henry Ford