Blenheim OOB

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Churchill
General
General

Re: Blenheim OOB

Post by Churchill » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Budyenny
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Budyenny » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:29 pm

So Oxenstierna's regt was at Ramilies, thats good because I painted a btn of these a while ago. However at that time I had no uniform details and went for blue coats, yellow facings, stockings and breeches at that time they seemed to fit the bill.

So I may change the facings etc, but gents ehat colours did the unit carry, a mix of the Swedish regt colours and a Dutch colour? If anyone knows let me know, I gave the unit their Swedish colour only as I didn't have any other info.

Thanks in advance.

Budyenny (Paul)
To win or lose, it doesn't matter it's only a game!
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:31 pm

not sure if this will be a help . clause -peter golberg in die vereingten niederlande has oxenstierna with a blue coat faced yellow . the afbeeldingen collectie has oxenstierna as having a blue coat faced blue with an orange border round the cuff's . the only flag that i have seen for oxenstierina is white with a yellow flame in each corner.hope this will help you.
Budyenny
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Budyenny » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:51 am

Thanks Turrabear

I must have used the Golberg disc, as I have this as a reference (forgotten about this disc) thanks for the info. I noted elsewhere there is going to be a Robert Hall disc updating the info on the Dutch so hopefully there will be more plates etc, I was not overly keen on the Golberg production as the plates are not as good as the Palatinate ones etc.

Regards

Paul
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:40 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:11 pm

I second that.
Gents, please dont Hijack this tread and just open your own :)
I know, I am not better, but please try it, ok?
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Budyenny
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Budyenny » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Ray

My humble apologies, I had not considered I had tried to hi jack your thread. I have found your thread interesting and informative and will continue to do so. I will endeavor to steer my own path in future.

Paul
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Paul,

no need to apologize for posting anywhere. The only policing on this forum is done by me and that right seldom. Threads are threads, they blow in the breeze and meander down byways and mostly they come back to the topic. Ray has a short memory, he's been guilty of a bit of hijacking himself on occasion :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Hello Ray,

Now that you have most of the British built up for Blenheim Village, what about the French.

I just recently reread Spenser's 'Battle for Europe' about Blenheim and got me thinking of a possible idea for a Blenheim Village scenario. A French Breakout. As history teaches us the French Regiments surrender in mass towards the end of the day. However there were some regiments and officers that wanted to try and breakout.

For a what if scenario the problem for the French is the space required to form a line of battle outside the village. The troops were packed in. For the scenario to work and the French to have a chance the first few regiments coming out will be exposed to heavy fire and pressure. Therefore some like Navarre should be given 'Elite Status' (if using BLB2) to give them a chance to stand for awhile to give the rest of the French Regiments to form.

There are examples in the period of withdrawing under pressure by using a mass hollow square. Believed the French/Spanish used this tactic at Elixheim.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:40 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kippax
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by kippax » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Hello Ray
ive been away toooo long and just popped back and it hasnt help my jealous temperment one single bit great thread please keep up the fanstastic work ray your a credit to this period ...
please also pass on to paul fanstastic work on your figures
"Stupid Boy"
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:25 pm

I haven’t read of the example of this massive hollow square moving and I very much doubt it succeeded.It was hard enough to get a battalion to move in line, let alone get them to move in square.
Hello Ray

I found this interesting ref in Padraig Lenihan's '1690 Battle of the Boyne' using the battle of Fleurus as a tactical example:
Another reason why Fleures was not even more crushing lay in the quality of the Dutch Infantry: 'with infantry like that together with French Cavalry, I would set out to conquer the world', Luxembourg enthused afterwards........Waldeeck's corps de reserve making up a six or seven battalion strong block advanced into the centre of the battlefield, picking up fragments of broken units and stragglers, ultimately forming a square of sixteen battalions. Three times Luxembourg launched cavalry attacks against this square, but, alternately marching and halting, the infantrymen drove off the attackers until they found safety under the walls of Charleroi.
cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
MNFS
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by MNFS » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi Ray,

Did Hay's Dragoons (Royal Scot's) wear the fur cap during the NYW when they were Tiviot's Dragoons?

Best,

Mark