Introductory Reading for WSS

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Introductory Reading for WSS

Post by valleyboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:13 am

Now just suppose some daft sod has the notion of starting a new period :oops: and the only book that he's read on the era was Blenheim by Charles Spencer (a good read btw)

What books would you recommend to my err.. friend :lol: as basic works or overview of the period along with others more specifically aimed at painting/army guides etc should he somehow develop an all pervasive and persistent hankering to paint some of Barry's lovely figures :?:

Thanks Gents
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Introductory Reading for WSS

Post by wdrenth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:57 am

Hi,

http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/ gives a decent introduction to, and overview of, the War of the Spanish Succession. Even the Wikipedia entry of the conflict is pretty decent.

If you look for a good book, I am afraid there is no real decent English language book on war of the Spanish Succession. Most English language works focus on Marlborough, Blenheim, Marlborough again, the evil Dutch deputies, the other evils obstructing Marlborough's ambitions, more on Blenheim and some odds and ends on Marlborough.
In Dutch language, the standard work is 'Het Staatsche Leger', the history of the army of the Dutch Republic. In particular the part covering the WSS is very good. Also, Olaf van Nimwegen's thesis on logistics and subsistence during the WSS gives a good overview of the conflict. In German language, the General Staff of the Austro-Hungarian Empire published a multi-volume work on the campaigns of prince Eugene of Savoy. The advantage of this work is that is focuses on all theaters: Flanders, Upper-Rhine, Italy and Spain. As the other conflicts, not directly related to the WSS but certainly of influence, are also covered, one can get a could grasp of the complexities.

regards,
Wienand
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:38 am

Most English language works focus on Marlborough, Blenheim, Marlborough again, the evil Dutch deputies, the other evils obstructing Marlborough's ambitions, more on Blenheim and some odds and ends on Marlborough.
:D :D :D
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
Scruff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Scruff » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:26 am

Im sure the others here will correct me if I make a "bad" reccomendation, but the Baccus figures site has some good info, particular the uniform guides.

https://www.baccus6mm.com/index.php?content=howto

cheers
Cameronian
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Cameronian » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:04 am

As has been said, it's more or less Corporal John or next to nowt. However, I've found these to be useful:

Marlborough as Military Commander, David Chandler, Batsford 1973 & 1979.

The Art of Warfare in the Age of Marlborough, David Chandler, Batsford 1976.

Weapons and Equipment of the Marlborough Wars, Anthony Kemp, Blandford, 1980.

Marlborough's Army 1702-11, Barthorp/McBride, Osprey Men-At-Arms, 1980.
"You might well think that; I couldn't possibly comment"

http://cameronian-onlyagame.blogspot.com/
http://camcpproj.blogspot.co.uk/
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:56 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
simon boulton
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by simon boulton » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:46 am

I agree with Churchill, the Ramillies book in particular is a good read but the Oudenarde and Malplaquet books are worth reading too.

Although they are mainly focused on Marlborough, I've enjoyed reading the books by James Falkner and you can often get them second hand.

For uniform info the best intro is probably armies and uniforms of Marlboroughs wars by C S Grant.

Figure wise, I have used a number of Barry's very nice figures but they are more suitable for the earlier period rather than the WSS. Have a look at the Ebor miniatures range too. I still like the Front Rank range as well :D
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 pm

If the fighting in Flanders doesn't interest you then have a read of 'No Peace Without Spain' by J.A.C. Hugill which cover all the fighting in Spain and for uniform guides there is 'The Spanish Army of Philip V' by James Hinds, Editions Brokaw and 'The Portuguese Army During the War of The Spanish Succession' by Pat Condray also from Editions Brokaw.
Cheers
Dave
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:44 pm

"Great and Glorious Days: The Duke of Marlborough's Battles" by James Falkner is a good overview of the campaign in the Low Countries. Falkner has written several other books on the subject.

Then there is the granddaddy of them all: "Marlborough; His Life and Times" by W.S. Churchill. At the risk of being banned by Barry :D , I would submit that it is still the broadest treatment of the war, from a miitary, political and geographic perspective, there is in English. While Churchill's adoration of his ancestor may be trying to some, his writing style a bit bombastic and his assessment of the Dutch somewhat unfair, it does cover all theaters sufficiently for a general reader.

It does not, however, contain orders of battle and the detail that we wargamers love. Also, you may want an abridged edition!
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:47 pm

I'd recommend the Wars of Louis XIV by John Lynn. Obviously covers much more than the WSS but it really puts that war into perspective and the discussion of the WSS is good, and he does cover a bit about what was going on in all the theaters of the war.
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:45 am

Thank you very much gentlemen this gives me something to ponder, I'll have a look at the caliver site

will Barry et al be at Salute with a game this year?
I am making my biannual pilgrimage from down under
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:19 am

"Great and Glorious Days" has become something of a 'comfort' book for me. It is easy to read - and the author pays tribute to the courage shown by the French and their allies at all these battles.

Spencer's book on Blenheim is also very easy to read (I wish he would tackle some of the other battles) and gives a decent background to both the era just before the war broke out and and some of the key players, such as Eugene and the Elector of Bavaria.

Good luck!

Theo
wkeyser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by wkeyser » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:41 am

Also try to track down a copy of Brent Noseworthys book Anatomy of Victory. Lots of great insight into tactics, doctrine etc.

William
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:46 pm

wkeyser wrote:Also try to track down a copy of Brent Noseworthys book Anatomy of Victory. Lots of great insight into tactics, doctrine etc.

William
Yeah, that's a good one! There was some talk awhile back that there was going to be a revised edition of this. Anyone heard anything recently?