New Book on Saxon Army in the GNW

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

New Book on Saxon Army in the GNW

Post by Dfogleman2 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:58 pm

A new book in German on the Saxon Army in the GNW. Even if your German (like mine!) is very limited, it appears to have lots of pictures. Available October 15. I will be in Berlin that day, so I hope I can pick one up from BZ!

Does anyone know anything about the author?

Here is the link: http://www.zinnfigur.com/product_info.p ... 1d&ID=2918
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: New Book on Saxon Army in the GNW

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:54 am

Hi Danny,

I have ordered my copy more than a month ago when they offered it to me. Shame is that I will be on my way to Leipzig on this date :D :wink:

Thanks for sharing it.

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:10 am

I have a couple of Heere & Waffen books, very good - sort of Osprey plus, if you know what I mean. I will certainly be getting this one.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Grenadier
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grenadier » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:07 pm

I've never heard of this company-probably because I can only read English :( Looks like I need to brush up on my 30+ year-old highschool German and get this book!
Grenadier
"In what space, sir? In what space?"
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:19 pm

Grenadier wrote:I've never heard of this company-probably because I can only read English :( Looks like I need to brush up on my 30+ year-old highschool German and get this book!
Actually, I have several of their other books and they are very good for "wargamer" info, even if you don't know much German.
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Grenadier wrote:Looks like I need to brush up on my 30+ year-old highschool German and get this book!
Same here. It appears that "Berliner Zinnfiguren & Preußisches Bücherkabinett" would not(?), however, send a single copy of this book to the US as it is only 19.95 €; see below?

Minimum order value
Unfortunately we cannot accept orders for delivery below the value of 25.-- EUR. Delivery abroad cannot be made for an order below this value.

Postage rates abroad
Other countries [all except Western Europe, apparently] according to distance and weight.

I am going to contact Dennis at On Military Matters (US) and see if he will be stocking this title. Somehow, I suspect is already ahead of me on this. :lol:

Cheers,

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Friends,

I offer my help to all who have problems to obtain the book.
As soon as it is available I can order it and send it to you.

Hope that helps
Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Dennis at OMM will probably carry it, since he carries other books in the series.
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:08 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:Friends,

I offer my help to all who have problems to obtain the book.
As soon as it is available I can order it and send it to you.

Hope that helps
Günter
Günter:

I just noticed that I was remiss in not acknowledging your very kind offer made (above) three weeks ago. I will quite definitely keep it mind. :)

Many thanks...

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:08 am

Does it have flag details? I used to have all of the Saxon flags (kindly sent to me by Dan Schorr years ago), but my wife "reorganised" my computer and now I can't find the file anywhere.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:24 am

Ronan the Librarian wrote:Does it have flag details? I used to have all of the Saxon flags (kindly sent to me by Dan Schorr years ago), but my wife "reorganised" my computer and now I can't find the file anywhere.
Ronan,
Most likely that it will contain flags. I am sure if you contact Dan Schorr he will provide you with those flags again.

Another Saxon lover/maker/owner... :wink: :D

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 am

Ok, got my Copy today. I was a bit disappointed because of many typos :roll: as they renamed Dan Schorr to Dan SCHNORR :shock: not very funny if you ask me. The remaining booklet has 64 Pages, full color illustrations, many old ones and some new ones(for me) with OOBs and Battle Plans. Price € 19,95.-

Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:01 pm

For those in the U.S.: On Military Matters says they will have it in a few weeks. $32.00 US.

I got mine in Berlin a couple of weeks ago. If you do not read German and have access to Dan Schorr's article on Saxon uniforms of the period, I am not sure how much more you will get out of it. Nearly all the uniform info is taken from Dan's article, for which it is properly credited (although his name in misspelled). There are OOB's for Klissow and Fraustadt and discussions of those battles, as well as a general overview of the Saxon involvement in the War. The authors seem to have used mostly secondary sources. Still, clearly, there is more here on the Saxon army in the GNW than any modern book and it has the advantage of being readily available and not too expensive.

All in all, I think that if you can read German it is a good introduction to the subject. If you can read a little bit (like me) and like to collect everything you can on the GNW (again, like me), then I would recommend it.