Klissow (1702) Refight

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
karamustafapasha
Corporal
Corporal

Klissow (1702) Refight

Post by karamustafapasha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Here are a few pics of a GNW game played last weekend at the Joy of Six show. The battle of Klissow featured a greatly outnumbered Swedish army attacking a combined Saxon and Polish army. A big thanks to Per and Nick for running it. Hopefully an article on the battle will appear soon in one of the magazine. The game was played by members of Wyre Forest club and a web page on the http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/ site should also appear at some point.

Grenadier
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Klissow (1702) Refight

Post by Grenadier » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:28 pm

Nice looking table. That center looks to be impassable, what are all those Russians defending it for?
Grenadier
"In what space, sir? In what space?"
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:48 am

Grenadier wrote:Nice looking table. That center looks to be impassable, what are all those Russians defending it for?
:shock: Russians? The red Uniforms are those of the Saxons :wink:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Grenadier
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grenadier » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:00 am

Ooops! Sorry, I knew that, but the G&T I was drinking convinced me otherwise.
Anyhoo, love the 6mm stuff which makes a battle of thousands look the part. I think it's time to get my mighty Holstein-Gottorp Army started!
Grenadier
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:25 am

Grenadier wrote:.... I think it's time to get my mighty Holstein-Gottorp Army started!
In a few month my Saxon Army of 1702 will be almost finished in 28mm.
Than we can take a closer look on those 'Russians' :D :wink:

Great looking game btw. A bit to tiny, the figures I mean, for my liking

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:30 pm

For painting they are too small for my taste but on a great table like that they fit the part. 6mm does make battles of thousands look awesome.

Joe
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:21 pm

A very inspiring table - some superb figures and terrain work.

This makes me want to look again at my 6mm GNW Swedish and Russian armies - all the infantry and artillery etc done - just have the Russian cavalry to go (but there's so much of it !). The Russian infantry is extremely colourful - white, red, green, yellow coats.

Well done chaps - excellent stuff.

Phil
karamustafapasha
Corporal
Corporal

Post by karamustafapasha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:53 am

That center looks to be impassable, what are all those Russians defending it for?
Grenadier: I guess the simple answer is the Saxons (I see you now know they are not Russians) are there because it is a historical battle and that is where they actually were.

But as you can hopefully see from the overview photo the Saxon/Poles were really quite packed in and so I am not sure there was any room for them anywhere else.

Also, as I believe also happened in the real battle, having 2 to 1 odds, massive artillery support and nice terrain to hide behind didn't save them. The Swedes stormed (in as far as you can over that terrain) over and were beating the defenders when the Saxon-Polish army failed their army morale test and fled the field :)

I can't claim any credit for the terrain/figures which were superb. The 6mm really make it look like a battle, which I am afraid it is difficult to do with 25mm. They are all made by one guy, Per a Swede living in exile in southern England, and he makes a new battle each year! Last year he did Fraustadt (1706) which was even more impressive. It was a snow battle and it loked cold - but then I guess a Swede should know about snow. Next year he will run Kalisz (1706) - Saxons, Russians, Poles (on both sides), Lithuanians (on both sides), Cossacks, Kalmucks and Swedes. Should be fun :)
Grenadier
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grenadier » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:38 pm

Ah, yes, after reading a bit I see how the whole thing unfolded. Per is doing some great stuff, I wish I was over there to take part.
I found his posts in the Baccus forum, here is a link:

https://www.baccus6mm.com/forum/index.php?topic=1619.0
Grenadier
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Beautifull game !
I'm really impressed.

BTW. How big was Polish army on the table ?
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
karamustafapasha
Corporal
Corporal

Post by karamustafapasha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:14 pm

There were 5 Hussar bases, 16 Pancerni bases, 3 Jazda Lekka bases, 2 Noble Levy, 1 infantry and 1 gun.

A base is about 500 infantry or 250 cavalry.

The guy is painting lots more Poles for Kalisz next year :)
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 am

Looks an excellent game, well done to all involved!
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:08 am

karamustafapasha wrote:There were 5 Hussar bases, 16 Pancerni bases, 3 Jazda Lekka bases, 2 Noble Levy, 1 infantry and 1 gun.

A base is about 500 infantry or 250 cavalry.

The guy is painting lots more Poles for Kalisz next year :)
After Schuster&Francke the strenght of the Polish Force should have been around 6000 men on this day. Seems to fit with the force the boys here have used :D :wink:

Roger55

Post by Roger55 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:34 pm

That Battle Field looks quite a bit like Gadebusch 1712. ONly the Marsh there is larger at Gadebush.

The Baccus figures look very fine on that massive table. I wonder if Mr. Mustafa still thinks the 6mm cavalry horses(when he made the comment I was painting 5mm H&R back then) look like Gerbels :lol: .
karamustafapasha
Corporal
Corporal

Post by karamustafapasha » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Roger: I guess most strong defensive positions from this time are similar - high ground with water/marsh in front of it and the flanks covered. Details obviously vary but I think that this is quite common. But what I thought was good about this battle was the opportunity for both sides to attack, usually it is only one side that does.

Have you played Gadebusch? We plan to play it at some time in the future, it looks fun.

The 6mm aren't mine but they certainly looked great. The game really looked like a battle, rather than the 'skirmishes' you often see.

I am sure your H&R figures were great but I would guess like in all scales the figures are better nowadays.