Dutch Horse: A uniform query

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Shann1870
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Dutch Horse: A uniform query

Post by Shann1870 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi all and a Happy New Year.
I have Clarence's excellent flags for the Dutch horse regiments Schack and van Steinbeck. Can anyone tell me the uniform colours for these regiments (coats/facings, small clothes and shabraques) as I can't seem to find any details. Hope someone can help - figures all undercoated and ready to go!! Many thanks in anticipation.
Steve
Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Dutch Horse: A uniform query

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:51 am

Hello, Steve.

The following is taken from the excellent CD ROM "Uniforms & Flags of the Dutch Army and The Army of Liege 1685-1715" by Robert Hall, Iain Stanford & Yves Roumegoux that I obtained from the great blokes at On Military Matters.

RR Shack - (the proprietor has the wonderful name of Bogislaf Sigismund Schack) - by 1687 recorded as wearing Light Grey coat with dark blue linings. Senior officers wore red-brown coats. Earlier uniform had the trumpeters in red with white lace. Buttons - yellow. Horse furniture blue with white edge.

Van Steinbeck would appear to be RR Steinbock (proprietor 1691-8 while in UK = Erik Gustaaf, Graaf van Steinbock - later became RR Oostfriesland and fought in all the major low country campaigns) - during the time in UK, uniform reported as white coat with blue linings/cuffs. White metal buttons. Horse furniture is blue with white edge. Officers (?senior) may possibly have worn red coats - they did after 1702.

In the general notes it is recorded that officers were only recognised by the quality of coat & amount of lace. Sashes if worn were usually, though not always, orange. It is not clear to me if all officers wore the red coats, or only senior officers.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Rohan.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:36 am

Rohan Wilmott wrote:Van Steinbeck would appear to be RR Steinbock (proprietor 1691-8 while in UK = Erik Gustaaf, Graaf van Steinbock - later became RR Oostfriesland and fought in all the major low country campaigns).
The colonel of that regiment was actually a Swede and his proper name was Erik Gustaf Stenbock. He was an older brother to the famous Magnus Stenbock who won the battles at Helsingborg 1710 and Gadebusch 1712.

The Dutch version of his name make it sound like he was styled "count of Stenbock", but Stenbock was just a surname and not a title. He was however a count.
Rohan Wilmott

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:45 am

Thanks, Tacitus.

As my Swedish drinking mate down here in Australia says " We Swedes get around!" :wink:

Weather report - 42.5 Celsius here yesterday, and thick smoke haze from bushfires 100km away = seems that it may be a good idea to get in touch with this mate for "a cleansing & cooling ale"!! :D

Cheers, Rohan.
Shann1870
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shann1870 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks Rohan - much appreciated. Interesting historical titbits as a bonus!! Will start painting tomorrow.