Which faction will YOU do?

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Which faction will YOU do?

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:33 pm

yar68 wrote:Hmm? I like the Vendee idea, or perhaps the 3 Musketeers??? they'd both fit it perfectly!!
Oh god my mind's wandering where I don't want it to go............what have you done to me, I swore I'd never do another 25mm period!!!
My ideas for the Vendee also involve Horatio Hornblower, the Scarlett Pimpernel and Citizen Camambert from Carry on Don't Lose Your Head.
Have you been watching the new Musketeer series on TV? looks quite gritty and I'm sure there will be lots of programmes which will give scenario ideas.
Cheers
Dave
dalauppror
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by dalauppror » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:04 pm

conflans wrote:I have just about commpleted a small unit of Swedish infantry for Snapphane type warfare in the Scanian War. I just need to find some suitable figures for Snapphane guerillas. Any opinions on using some of the Empress miniatures ECW musketeers without rests?

Thanks.
Greate to heare !!! :D

As you sure know we are also running someScanian War "Snapphane Style", so far we have been using the Musket & Tomahawk rules but after a quick read through of the Donnybrook rules I quite sure we will change to Donnybrook. First play test planned tomorrow ....

I also have started to work at a short introduction to the Scanian War and the Snapphane fighting, and also some guides to the fractions for a more Danish/Swedish feel...future will tell...

Best regards Michael

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:13 am

barr7430 wrote:.... I myself (on a long plane journey yesterday) decided I was going to create a religious faction based on a Brotherhood of Fighting Friars all in robes with tonsures (there are plenty of models available and a few conversions will create something quite unique),,
http://fenryll.com/en/61-priests-and-inquisitors
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:56 am

nice!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by counterattack71 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:37 pm

obriendavid wrote:
yar68 wrote:Hmm? I like the Vendee idea, or perhaps the 3 Musketeers??? they'd both fit it perfectly!!
Oh god my mind's wandering where I don't want it to go............what have you done to me, I swore I'd never do another 25mm period!!!
My ideas for the Vendee also involve Horatio Hornblower, the Scarlett Pimpernel and Citizen Camambert from Carry on Don't Lose Your Head.
Have you been watching the new Musketeer series on TV? looks quite gritty and I'm sure there will be lots of programmes which will give scenario ideas.
Cheers
Dave
Love the Hornblower and Carry On idea :D . Just watched the second Muskateers episode, and thought it was quite good. Obviously not one for the extreme period purists, but enjoyable just the same. Also good to see Tom Burke playing Athos (he played Napoleon in Heroes and Villains).

My copy of the rulebook is still in transit (ok. I did order late last week) but I'm excited about what factions to collect. Hopefully it'll arrive before the York show at the weekend so I can get a proper shopping list together.

I must say, I'm impressed with some of the links to figure manufacturers. There's a lot here I've never seen or heard of before.
http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:13 am

Samurai, using the Army list, Monks using the Rebels list and Ronin using the Outlaws list, Add some ECW figures as Portugese (bit early I know)and that makes a game to take to the club to get people interested.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:59 pm

I've been thinking about either English Civil War, Dutch Wars, or Seven Years War/American Rev. I'm part of Der Alte Fritz's kickstarter for the Hessians, and I'm thinking adventures in Germany for a company of Hessians (or Prussians) and some French, or Austrians.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by counterattack71 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:44 pm

I'm just in the process of ordering some Scots Covenanters and other unit packs from Reiver (slightly kicking myself for flogging a load of Foundry Highland Levy about a year ago now I could use 'em). Along with the book "The Killing Time" by David Ross from Amazon. Hopefully it'll inspire some interesting scenarios.

I'm about half way through the McNally "Aughrim 1691" book, which is really excellent. I'm literally reading it in the evening until my eyes hurt and have to send myself off to bed. The John Childs "Williamite Wars in Ireland" will be next. The conflict certainly gives wide scope for both small raids and skirmish battles, alongside the larger battlefield engagements.

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.
James Brewerton

Post by James Brewerton » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:08 am

My First factions for Donnybrook will be NWF Vs Afghan Tribesmen have just finished painting a load of Highlanders, Guides, Sikh's and Gurkhas.
It might be a while till we get a game as my Dad has just packed up the wargames room at his as he moves back to Manchester and with my Daughter moving back home my own wargames room idea is on hold :shock:
MikeH
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MikeH » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:45 am

I'm thinking of going for the Great Northern War for no other reason then I can get my hands on the Musketeer miniatures range via my mates at Gripping beast, and also its a period I want to research

I am tempted to do something with the Cultists though maybe using the Salem witch trials as a backdrop (with more of a fantasy tweak added)

Mike
Catch me on Twitter;

https://twitter.com/M_A_Hobbs
CWK
Private
Private

Post by CWK » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:34 pm

I am planning to paint some Bavarians for the late 1680s and early 1690s using Warfare Miniatures. They can be used for the Great Turkish War, the War of the Palatinate Succession (aka the 9 Years War) and for fome fictive skirmishes with imperial cities, bandits and Austrians... :shock:
One problem are the uniform colours, especially the shades of blue. :shock:

The Great Northern War and the Italian Wars are also on the to-do-list.

- Finally brought myself to write my first post. -
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:15 pm

CWK wrote:
- Finally brought myself to write my first post. -
Welcome to the forum!
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by counterattack71 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Redmist1122 wrote:Barry,
Same here, I have a pre-order w/Bob at LRS. From the play testing I did, I already have a Cult, Army and Tribal (Moors) factions. I need another 12 figures for a European mob faction. That groups seems to eat up a lot of figures with them being raw. I just got my Old Glory order in that came with an ECW Peasant/Clubmen package...that should fit the bill:

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/prodd ... rod=ECW-47

Also if you look at Blue Moon sets for Swashbucklers, Rogues and Desperado's sets, they can easily fill the bill for Rappares, Highway men, etc.
Desperados: http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/prodd ... od=BMM-202

Highway men: http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/prodd ... od=BMM-203

I've noticed some of these on the Old Glory UK site. The ECW Peasant Mob will be perfect, along with some Moss Troopers as support for the Covenanter faction.

I must say I like the Foundry range for this kind of thing (although the £££££'s are a bit off-putting).

Has anyone got any idea of other manufacturers we could use for Civilians, outlaws and so on? (UK preferably).

Seem to remember a 'Hanging Tree' complete with hooded victim on one of the stalls at York, but forgot to take note of who made it. Looked great too.

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:44 pm

counterattack71 wrote: Seem to remember a 'Hanging Tree' complete with hooded victim on one of the stalls at York, but forgot to take note of who made it. Looked great too.
I think Redoubt make that model.
Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Warlord Games...

Most are bareheaded and the hats are separate so you can avoid the watch caps. A little early for BLB era civilians, but they work well enough until we get some Warfare Miniatures civilians!