Battle of Aughrim Game - Use of Command Shot

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Battle of Aughrim Game - Use of Command Shot

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Mon May 19, 2014 12:52 pm

Hello Gents,

Was looking at the reports of the big Aughrim refight, wow.

I have some questions on how the Command Shot were used. Were they detach from the Regiment's Colours and Pike Stand(s) and moved forward? Or were they seperate stands that were done up for the refight then removed when they rejoined their battalions in theory?

Was there any special rules or allowances for the falling back of the Commanded Shot to their parent battalions.

Great looking game.

cheers

Edward
Captain of Dragoons
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: Battle of Aughrim Game - Use of Command Shot

Post by flick40 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm not sure about the final ruling for commanded shot but there are a couple threads on it if you scroll down. Based on those discussions they are single stand independent units on defend orders. They don't re-attach to a parent unit but if they did I would think they are just absorbed and don't increase the parent unit size. Once absorbed they could no longer detach. Just my opinion and not the game masters ruling. :)

Joe
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed May 21, 2014 8:28 pm

The commanded shot for our Aughrim game represented small bodies of troops detached from the parent battalion and formed together as commanded shot. They didn't reduce the size of the parent bodies and couldn't rejoin any units during the battle and formed bodies didn't have to take morale tests for seeing them destroyed or routed.

They don't get the first fire bonus only the all musket bonus.
They also have the ability to operate alone so get no minus' for being unsupported.

As Joe said, there is a thread about them on this list.

Hope this helps?
Dave
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sat May 24, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks,

I was just thinking along the lines of game mechanics. Instead of having single stands to represent the commanded shot, have the two musket stands of a battalion used forward of its Pike and Flags stand.

I don't think there is anything in the rules of BLB2 for that but could be a house type rule. Would have to consider the game of effects of those stands falling back on their parent battalions in regards to disorder, etc.

cheers

Edward
Captain of Dragoons
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:49 am

The use of command shot should be very situational and scenario driven IMO. Aughrim is well documented that they were present for the Irish and gave a good showing. Over use of them and they become like Napoleonic skirmishers and several more (house) rules would need to be created to cover more situations that in the game scale and period probably wouldn't occur. There are many similarities during the horse and musket period and allowing too much of a later period into an earlier one spoils the mood.

Joe
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:26 am

I think we've found the correct balance with Commanded Shot. In some of the first trials we made them too powerful by giving them the First Volley bonus.

Ed,I wouldn't subscribe to the view of putting forward two shot 'wings' and holding back a single command stand. With the Model to Man ratio of BLB the number of troops placed forward would be 2/3 of the battalion, de facto, the majority or upwards of 400 men. Although sources are often not specific about the size of commanded shot detachments we've gone for about the equivalent of 200 men (probably still too much). In the game mechanic, it works well, is not overwhelming but conversely cannot be ignored.
Of course, everyone frequently on this site knows my approach is.. do what you feel!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sun May 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks Gents for the remarks.

Barry, when you put it like that 2/3 of a battalion does seem too strong of a detachment.

Aughrim is the only example I can think of for that type scenario for the GA War of even the WSS, however I do recall a similar case of Turenne using detached musketeers along a wood line to hold up the advance of Conde's army in rearguard action.

Ed
Captain of Dragoons