Morale Tests

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
ian-Aberd

Morale Tests

Post by ian-Aberd » Wed May 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Another query from me:

An infantry regiment is currently shaken. It's card is the next one turned up. It has to take a morale test because there is a routing infantry unit within 6 inches. The regiment passes the morale test with flying colours! So ........

1) Does it now become steady?

or

2) It remains shaken. To become steady it will now have to attempt to rally by taking another morale test (issued a Hold order).

My feeling is that 2) is correct, but an opponent thinks only one morale is taken per unit per card.
quindia
General
General

Re: Morale Tests

Post by quindia » Wed May 28, 2014 3:59 pm

You are correct... It remains shaken. Just because they don't follow their craven comrades in retreat doesn't mean they've restored good order. The mandetory test caused by the routing unit does not replace the need for a Hold order to remove the Shaken condition.
1ngram

Post by 1ngram » Wed May 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Well, as the other player in this particular argument I think that is the daftest decision you could possibly come to. Whatever the reason for taking the test they have been successful and in every other situation in your rules a shaken unit (whose card has come up) that passes its morale test becomes steady once more. But seemingly not in this situation. That just seems to go completely against the spirit of the rules.

mumble, mumble, mumbleteepeg
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed May 28, 2014 9:46 pm

:lol:... actually I would say play the way that suits your game the best, but the call I would make at my table is that shaken should be removed by a Hold order...

To be honest, I haven't played VWQ in years and if there are other instances of auto rallies I don't remember them!
ian-Aberd

Post by ian-Aberd » Thu May 29, 2014 11:08 pm

Thanks for the swift reply, Clarence.
What you have said is how I imagined morale tests to be handled.
Its not explicit in the rules as published, but it is certainly the common sense approach.
I don't think there is any ""auto recovery" of morale in the rules - to become steady a hold order has to be issued and a morale test passed.

I have one final rules question (on pursuit after melee), which I will post on a separate thread.