Morale Modifier question

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
old smokie
Corporal
Corporal

Morale Modifier question

Post by old smokie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:11 pm

played a game the other night and a question came up, unit A had a friendly unit nearby destroyed within 12 inches, the morale modifier section on the play sheet states the unit A should receive a "+1 formed friend destroyed within 12 inches".

is this correct I would have thought it should be -1 not a +1

any help appreciated
old smokie
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Morale Modifier question

Post by old smokie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:43 am

nobody knows then
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:47 am

old smokie wrote:played a game the other night and a question came up, unit A had a friendly unit nearby destroyed within 12 inches, the morale modifier section on the play sheet states the unit A should receive a "+1 formed friend destroyed within 12 inches".

is this correct I would have thought it should be -1 not a +1

any help appreciated
Which rules are you using?
Just checked my copy of BLB2 and there no mention of that on either my playsheet or in the main rules.
Cheers
Dave
old smokie
Corporal
Corporal

Post by old smokie » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:28 am

Morale page 23, BLB 1st edition

Just got a message from the author and it's a typo in the book it should read -1 and not a +1
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:33 am

Finally managed to find my old copy of BLB1 and those are obviously the rules you are using?
It does indeed say on the playsheet +1 for a unit being wiped out but if you read in the main rules on page 23 it says this is for inspirational effect, perhaps revenge effect might have been a better way to word it.

The minus effect is that you are having to take a morale test in the first place for seeing the unit wiped out which always a dodgy part of any battle as one of my best units could confirm at our recent playtest of the new rules at the weekend. This veteran unit kept rolling 1's every time it took a morale test and would run away but would then roll a 10 on a d10 and rally immediately but never got into the battle at all.

If you don't like the revenge rule then just leave it out of your games but you might find that one unit wiped out can have a major effect on the rest of your battle line because of a few bad rolls which is why this was initially added. It was eventually dropped in BLB2.
I hope this helps?
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:40 am

Dave is in fact correct,it was for inspirational effect..in my PM answer I hadn't realised you were referring to the first edition,sorry for confusion
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford