The Army of James II (Helion)

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

The Army of James II (Helion)

Post by Glorfindel » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:02 pm

This one snuck in under the radar. I normally keep an eye on this series as there are some great titles coming but didn't notice it. Might be of interest :

http://www.helion.co.uk/published-by-he ... -army.html

They also have a couple of interesting titles coming up on the Great Northern War.

Phil
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: The Army of James II (Helion)

Post by arthur1905 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:57 pm

I have it on pre-order with Helion, just hoping it arrives soon, I understand Mark Allan has done the uniform plates

Mark
Mulciber
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Mulciber » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:05 am

It was supposed to be out in June... then July... now August. After checking again, the Helion website now says it's available. They should really keep those who've ordered copies informed as to what's going on and, if available generally, perhaps delivered copies ordered in advance before general release.

Despite that moan, it looks good and I'm looking forward to getting my copy.
Old John
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Old John » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 am

Interesting post, many thanks, although wondering if this book is a revised/updated version of the author's original booklet

"The Army of James II, Uniforms & Organisation" published by Partizan Press in 1987 and revised edition in 2001

Also if the plates are by Mark Allen are they again revised/updated versions of plates issued many years back in Wargames Illustrated magazine

Looking forward to seeing a review of the book from anyone who gets a copy

cheers Old John
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:48 am

Ive got the 1987 edition, looks like it's just been typed out on a typewriter it's got lots of uniform discriptions but very little drawings just your imagination needed to picture the uniforms but lots on flags especially the cavalry it's a great little booklet used it many a time
raggedroyalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by raggedroyalist » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:16 am

The book is now being despatched from the printers and Helion will be receiving copies in the middle of next week.

This is a significantly expanded book and the Mark Allen plates are brand new

Charles Singleton
Old John

Post by Old John » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:23 am

There's a very good review in Arquebusier from Pike & Shot Society, which persuaded me to buy the book, awaiting delivery from Amazon UK
cheers Old John
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:32 am

Old John wrote:There's a very good review in Arquebusier from Pike & Shot Society, which persuaded me to buy the book, awaiting delivery from Amazon UK
cheers Old John
Indeed, just read it this morning at breakfast!

I hope to purchase a copy at Colours

Can't wait. Just ordered post free from Blackwells £15.72 - bargain!
Best
Ben
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by wdrenth » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Eagerly looking forward my copy -- had it on order for ages! And curious about the rumours that James' army wasn't completely disintegrated in late 1688/early 1689 and was ready to take the field without the need for rebuilding :-)

Wienand
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:15 pm

Got my copy from amazon on friday.
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:13 pm

Mines coming tomorrow from Amazon
Mulciber
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Mulciber » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Arrived to today. A very nicely produced effort, looking forward to a good read now.
Old John

Post by Old John » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:23 am

In Wargames Illustrated No 358 August 2017 issue, there's a nice article on "The Wars Of James II Part One " which ties in with this thread

Should get my copy of the book in post today, fingers crossed

cheers Old John
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by wdrenth » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:35 pm

I received this nice book a few days ago. The book is very nice, with plenty of illustrations and sufficient details on uniforms, regimental organisation, equipment and colours to keep anyone with an interest in Early Modern military history busy for many hours.

I have, however, some remarks on the allegations that James' army was kept in being, and didn't require any rebuilding before deployment. (note, this is what some reviewers report, and not necessarily what Ede-Borrett claims.)

In the introductory chapter, Ede-Borrett states that the army was disorganised etc in late 1688, following what professor Childs wrote in one of his books, and was rebuilt fairly quickly by king William III. With about one-third of the officers remaining under William III, this meant that the bulk of new officers were William's men --
stating that the recovery of the army is due to the 'discipline and professionalism' of James' army is that somewhat strange to say, given that, as above, the majority of officers were new. (Also, if the army was so disciplined and professional, how come it collapsed so easily?).

It is a fact that under the reign of James II many new regiments were created, and that he was more concerned with it than his brother Charles had been. These regiments survived into the new Williamite reign, albeit under new management and with new officers, and probably with a fair number of new recruits -- their survival could be called nominal, with William inheriting the framework of existing regiments.

It will be true that James' army was 'fit for service' and followed the latest and greatest military fashion in Europe with respect to drill and tactics. However, it was also an army untried in continental warfare. It would be fair to say that under the administration of William III, the army reached maturity and got its first taste in continental warfare. The army also got a official status as a Standing army subordinate to Parliament via the Bill of Rights.

So wondering what I missed what the other readers found :-)

all best, Wienand

PS. a more formal review will follow when time permits :-)
Old John

Post by Old John » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:33 am

Book arrived !!!! had a quick flick through, Mark Allen colour plates are excellent as are the list of sources used, only thing i wasn't too happy with are the reconstruction photos of Royal Regiment of Dragoons, why on earth did they use a black background, detracts greatly from seeing details

Looking forward to a good read in the sun with a very large mug of coffee
cheers Old John