Proxy war

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Proxy war

Post by dashing blade » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:07 am

Just wanted to know what peoples opinions are on using "Proxy units"
for example I have a large Russian Cossack force I use for Napoleonic gaming
and for the seven years war, its cheaper, there's not much difference in style of outfit
and nobody in our club minds. I've seen WW1 British infantry used as WW2 infantry and more
interestingly WSS infantry used to fill in gaps for seven years war, and Napoleonic wars!
Thoughts?
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Re: Proxy war

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:52 am

never bothers me . we do it all the time . the best was when we were playtesting war of the 3 kings . we didn't have enough Irish women so we used red indians .
BaronVonWreckedoften
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:55 am

I bet the Indians were a lot more restrained! 8)
No plan survives the first contact with the dice.
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:28 pm

Its all personal choice really, I find my OCD kicking in if its isnt at least somethign like correct. For instance i dont mind early WW2 british subbing for Late WW2 British but I would struggle using WW1 British as WW2. i do cut up figures to use, so for instance I couldnt find any WW1 British Cavalry in Pith Helmets I liked so bought the Early WW1 British Cavalry in Syria from Perrys and did head swaps as the rest of the equipment is almost identical. So thats me, if other people have different views thats fine too, I dont judge. Although I do chuckle at the gamer I recently spoke to who didnt like a set of rules as they were "not historically acccurate" he was using his historical set to game Italian Condotorri agaisnt Samurai!! Its a funny hobby.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:18 am

Or people who insist that "orcs/zombies/gremlins would never do that".
No plan survives the first contact with the dice.
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:32 pm

Exactly
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:37 am

I did have amoment recently, having painted a small Saxon Army for the Great Northern War, I wnated to use them for the whole War and do them cheaply so used the Warlord Plastics with metal command and had them all in Tricornes with the flags from Warfare. It was pointed out to me that I prefered the earlier period and had the right flags but they didnt start wearign Tricornes until the later period when they had a different design of flag. That did both me a bit but not enough to invest in awhole new army, the last few units now have a mix of hats as a nod to history but you can take these things too far.

All that said its about what you and your opponent are happy with.