Danish Forces

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Churchill
General
General

Danish Forces

Post by Churchill » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:16 am

Hi Barry,

On the subject of the Danish Forces at the Boyne it's clear that the cavalry regiments were of two squadrons each and the infantry regiments were of single battalions, but what is your view of troop classifications for the regiments involved.......
Donop's 263 trooper's
Juel's 268 trooper's
Sehested's 281 trooper's
The Garden til Fods 698 infantry are obviously Guard
Dronningen 634 infantry
Prince Frederick's 555 infantry
Prince Christian's 547 infantry
Prince Georg's 547 infantry
Zealand 527 infantry
Jutland 554 infantry
Funen 519 infantry
Between 1685 and 1720 the Danish army was involved almost continuously in war between east and west europe.
William of orange had a force of almost 7,000 Danish mercenaries within his army at the Boyne.

Any help please...........Ray.

J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:24 pm

hi ray

I`d make them all raw because I say so. See the arms race has begun ha ha ha ha. Looks like my Jacobite 200ft high titan is getting bought and thermo nuclear powered converged sky grenadier battalion will come swooping out the clouds above oldbridge to bring death on the williamites.

Emperor Zarg.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:33 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Churchill
General
General

Danish Forces

Post by Churchill » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:06 pm

Hi Jimi,

First of all welcome to this forum you will gain invaluable information to help with your own research if you ask for it and most forum members are more than helpful in sharing their knowledge of the period.
Unfortunatly I don't agree with all your troop rating's and this is why I've posted this thread as I don't believe the Danes were Superhuman's and unbeatable.
This isn't WAB and alot of historical research and evidence must be made before troop ratings can be gained.
If you read the account at "Yellow Island" during the battle of the boyne it states that unlike the Danish foot, the Danish horse had been raised specifically to serve in Ireland and were among the most inexperienced troop's in William's army.Two jacobite dragoon regiments that of Lord Dongan and Viscount Clare were sent to prevent the Danes from consolidating their position.It was 700 against 7,000 and Viscount Clare's regiment rode straight into a Danish infantry volley and was driven off, while Dongan's charged the Danish horse and scattered them sending them fleeing across the river.
So Jim may be right when he say's Raw for the cavalry at least.
Let's wait and see what other people say!!!

Regards.......Ray.

J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:19 pm

Is that you Jimmi

You don`t even like these rules.
Anonymous

Re: Danish Forces

Post by Anonymous » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:33 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:44 pm

hello

So the whole army is elite, cool I want some . I`m bound to beat everyone with those. One question though how come Denmark didn`t take over the whole of europe if their troops were so bleedin good. I think we need an expert on the subject to comment and not just the osprey experts.

Skol
Jim
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:07 pm

Churchill
General
General

Danish Forces

Post by Churchill » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi Jimi,

Ahhh so the cavalry aren't ELITE as you first said!!! See what happen's when you do a bit research first before posting, it saves a load of embarrassment when your proved wrong :oops: So I suppose the cavalry won't be used now.
Next is the turn of the infantry regiments :roll: let's see what the expert's come back with.

Ray.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:32 pm

J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Hello

You must have a guilt complex I didn`t name anyone. I have those books aswell but don`t want get into I know more than you so I can have a super dooper all elite force. I`ve done the jacobites and apart from a couple of decent units most of them are a bit poo I must like losing. So tell you what save your money use bits of cardboard instead of figures and I`ll let you win every week ok .Thats it no more posts on the danish army for me bored now. your a big boy now lets not be too upset.

jim
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:25 pm

Sorry for using this forum for slanging matches. Not going to happen again.
Churchill
General
General

Danish Forces

Post by Churchill » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:38 pm

Hello again,

Wow is this the right room for a arguement because if it is you must pay for either a 5 minute arguement or the full half hour :?
Come on guy's we're fully grown men, not children and none of us are experts on this period thats why I posted this thread in the first place.
There's no army lists or a points system with the rules because of people like you Jimi otherwise the Danes would be all GUARD and as I've already mentioned the cavalry were far from it.
So let's just carm down, sit back and wait for the experts to comment.

Ray.

Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:44 pm

Churchill wrote: This isn't WAB and alot of historical research and evidence must be made before troop ratings can be gained.
Hang on a minute :shock: . :D .

Sorry to go all OT, but, I do know a few of the writers of the WAB supplements and have been involved in playtesting enough to know that the writers really do know their stuff. For example, a major advisor and consultant on the writing of The Age of Arthur supplement was Professor Guy Halsall, a leading academic on the subject of Early Medieval Warfare at York Uni.

Anyway, I don't mean to butt in, just one of those situations where I felt I had to interject :) .

I'll butt out now :D .

Cheers,

Darrell.
Last edited by Atheling on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/