Republic to Empire fine Tuning

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:01 pm

Jack wrote: What with the plastics and this set of rules I'm all enthused to spend, spend, spend.
The spending part is easy, it's painting all the figures that's the problem.

Cheers
Dave
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:13 pm

Looking at all the positive feedback, NAPS will be back on the Map in the near future :)
"There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action!
Jack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jack » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:28 pm

[quote="obriendavidThe spending part is easy, it's painting all the figures that's the problem.

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

Not if you use your "lick of paint" technique, no brushes required just a tongue :lol: :lol: . How do you fit it into a paint pot tho :?:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:02 pm

might have to start censoring this one :wink:

When Jack and Dave get started it is like the Chuckle Brothers :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Jack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jack » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:17 pm

barr7430 wrote:might have to start censoring this one :wink:

When Jack and Dave get started it is like the Chuckle Brothers :lol:
What us :roll: we are much funnier than them.
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi,
as I was the new player I thought I should pipe up.

As new player to the period and system I was surprised how easy it was to pick up (thanks to Dave for the help as well) and by the end of the day things were moving along nicely. I did have a few lessons to learn about the cavalry charge and how bad ranged musket fire was but I got there in the end. Also it was interesting to see what a couple of rounds of short range cannon fire can do to packed infantry. :wink:

I was also very impressed with the look of a large naps game like this one. Special comment must go to Peter who supplied some very nice looking units.

So thanks for the game Barry. You might have finally sold me on something other than WWII.

Now when will the Perry plastics be up for sale.

Gazza
Rank Bajin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rank Bajin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:40 pm

Gents,

a fantastic looking game - so glad I have never been tempted doen the 15mm road. This is what wargaming is all about!!

Roy
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:58 pm

Hopefully more reports to come Roy. The idea in this case was not actually to show off our stuff(but thanks for the nice words! 8) ) but to illustrate the progress being made with R2E

Items like the battery area are a feature of the rules. This equipment no go zone behind batteries is important and a mandatory feature of the gaming set up and mechanisms

Henry Ford
Rank Bajin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rank Bajin » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:24 pm

Barry,

I really like the idea of the battery area - one of the big problems for the scots greys would have been getting completly mixed up inamongst all the clutter of the grand battery - yet in most rule sets batteries don't even provide a speed bump.

Keep it coming!!!

Roy
Jack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jack » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:12 am

Rank Bajin wrote:Barry,

I really like the idea of the battery area - one of the big problems for the scots greys would have been getting completly mixed up inamongst all the clutter of the grand battery - yet in most rule sets batteries don't even provide a speed bump.

Keep it coming!!!

Roy
Watched Gettysburg again the other day and was amazed that the re-enactors did not even slow down as they marched shoulder to shoulder through all the assembled Reb batteries. Those faced with the guns and crew just dropped back and caught up after they had cleared the obstacle. Admittedly the ammo caissons and horses had been moved to the rear. Still I wonder if batteries would have been such a speed bump if moving from front to rear or vice versa? I think we have to ask if troops in a certain era would have done such a thing rather than how long it would take?
Jack
Rank Bajin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rank Bajin » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 pm

Agree - if everything is moved to the rear - you probably could move through. However, if the gun teams and casions are about they will take up space - if they are in the rear they will still affect the movement of the rear echelon reserves. I was reading Hell Riders the other month, great book by the way, about the charge of the light brigade. What was striking was how when they made contact with the guns the combat disintegrated into smaller battles. Some leaders retained control whilst other units became embroiled in a general melee.

Normally in a game - cav charge guns, if they make contact they sabre everyone and then pursue all in the one move.

Mind you its a game :D so its probably best not to get to worried about it :wink: If you guys had a lot of fun thats good enough for me.

Don't know how I'll get the figures ready - I tried the dip once but the sherbert got everywhere :lol:

Roy
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 pm

Jack, I know we talked about this at the club so I had a look through my reference books again to see what comprised a Napoleonic artillery battery and it's quite comprehensive. Each gun has its own limber plus a couple of caissons, three if its a 12lb gun then there are supply wagons forage wagons and a forge. Add to that a couple of hundred horses then you have quite an obstacle. The situation is even worse if it's a French Guard battery as they had even more caissons per gun. Perhaps in the ACW they didn't have quite as much clutter. The other problem is what happens if the guns are firing no troops in their right mind would advance in front of anyone firing a gun, even if they are on the same side.

Cheers
Dave
Liam A of E
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Liam A of E » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:29 pm

jack, that was part of the problem with the Charge - was it Col. Alexander in charge of the Arty? The caissons had been moved to the rear, so he couldnt provide the bombardment Lee wanted, so there would have been less clutter.

Moving in a line past a gun wouldnt be hard, but weaving in and out of caissons, horses, tethers and assorted artyness would cause a huge problem. And if you were in column - forget it, its a roadblock.

As for charging cavalry, well I would imagine it would cause casualties.

Which raises another query - mebbe Bob Lauder (Hi Bob) can answer - Charge of the Light Brigade - I seem to recollect (Caton Woodville and contemproary accounts) that survivors didnt just talk about getting through the guns, but seemed to suggest there was a whole lot of gubbins after that - and it was those who got through that who found the Ruski Cavalry looking at them in some surprise. Anyone else recollect? Im still on topic, honestly. Obviously its difficult to say if that caused them to lose cohesion given the pasting they had on the way in, but it would have broken up the charge completely. So Im in favour of units - if they manage to take guns - being out of the picture for a while.

Dont know what the exact effect in R2E is tho.
Vex me Not, or I will have you dragged awhile....
Mark Wightman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark Wightman » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:04 pm

It's good to read that the rules are progressing nicely. I was very impressed with what I saw at the recent Partizan, both in terms to the display and the playability of the rules.

The pictures from your recent tests are great too. The battles seem to flow, which, to me at least, is a sign of good set of rules.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 pm

Liam R2E effect is clear and simple:

The battery deployment area which extends for up to 280mm behind the gun bases is totally impassable to friendly formed troops(but not skirmishers) Enemy attacking the battery must attack the guns and are assumed to(if successful in overunning the fighting gun line) follow through immediately into the rear area of the battery. It can then be removed from play but a residue of wagons/equipment and guns should be left causing disorder to any troops subsequently passing through.

Henry Ford