40mm Naps - Portugease Cacadors

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

40mm Naps - Portugease Cacadors

Post by big-gazza » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:19 pm

Hi,
tonight we have some 40mm Naps Portugease Cacadors from the fine people at Flashing Blade Miniatures.

Some very nice figures with a lot of character in the faces. The Sergeant is my favourite out the lot. Some are supplied with head varients.

Now heres the bad news. Had a bit of a disaster with spary AP Matt varnish which frosted up the figures. I've been able to scrub most of it off with thinners but not all. Its also left the figures with a rough finish in places.

Have a look for yourselfs as I think the figures may be on show at the show this week end.

So heres the pics

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

A bit disapointed with them due to the varnish disaster but they will have to do for now.

Gazza
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:48 pm

Lovely Gary.. nice colours... did you get them from my Funcken book?
Don't really notice the varnish thing though! :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:25 pm

Great brushmanship Gary, they have turned out really well. Like Barry I can't see the problem with the varnish.
Can I ask about the excellent basing. How did you do it and what colours have you used. It looks perfect for the Peninsular.
Pat
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by big-gazza » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:04 pm

HI,
thanks for the comments. The colours were put together from a few google searches and some help from the Steve Dean forum. The book didn't cover Portugease. Most other things but not them.

Probably the worst pic for the varnish effect was the last one. Have a closer look at the back pach and back of the shako. Just couldn;t get these areas clean.

The bases were given a layer of Vallejo Pumice gel with GW Graveyard Earth mixed in. Then a fairly heavy dry brush of DW Desert Yellow and a light brush with GW bleached bone. The grass is Silfor winer grass I think.

Hope this helps

Gazza
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Post by kutusov » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:39 pm

They look very nice to me ,like the bases I think I'll try and find out who sells the grass which looks really good.

kutusov
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by big-gazza » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:54 pm

kutusov wrote:They look very nice to me ,like the bases I think I'll try and find out who sells the grass which looks really good.

kutusov
Hi,
dug out the link. Have a look at

http://www.barrule.com/workshop/scratch ... lflor.html

Its the late Autumn tufts. They also do a two tone tuft which is very nic.

Antenociti's Workshop is a great site, never had any bother from them.

Gazza
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Post by kutusov » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks gazza :lol:

I'll order some up

Kutusov