Two "babyish" queries

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
vladimir1709

Two "babyish" queries

Post by vladimir1709 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:47 am

May be "babyish", may be not ... :roll:

1. Is it really: our wargame figures so need some undercoat/primer :?: :wink:
My first 15mm Napoleonics were painted with acrylic 6 years ago
without any undercoat, you know - they still look like new today. :D

2. Why our wargame figures supposed to have those high profile bases :?: :wink:
My miniatures stand on flat metallic bases, and they look great
cause of they do not tower over the play terrain unnaturally. :lol:

Thank you.
Chest' imeyu!

Sincerely yours -
Vladimir N. Repnin

Philadelphia, USA
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:48 am

Agree to point 1 totally... undercoat is often just a habit but white undercoat DOES make certain colours stand out more and provides opacity... BLACK does assist in the 'shadow school' of painting to create dimensions and depth.. so horses for courses.

On the basing front.. I also agree BUT the reason I prefer thicker bases is that I ALWAYS pick my figures up by the base to prevent greasy oily hands(not I am not a motoro mechanic) dulling down the figures over many plays. It is easier to grasp a thicker base than a thinner where inevtiably you'll grasp by the models
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
subedai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by subedai » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:36 pm

I agree with Barry about picking up his figures by the bases and I would like to add the following. When at a show and I'm impressed by other painters work I always pick up their fgures by the bases as well. It might seem like a small thing but I think it shows a certain amount of respect.
If one member of a synchronised swimming team drowns, do they all follow suit?
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Nervous wreck here, picking up other peoples works of art to inspect at close range - and yes :cry: I need to inspect at close range these days cos the old eyeballs are gettin sumwhat decrepit. I am a bag of nerves, primarily because of the esteem I hold other's efforts in -especially when the results are "exceptional". That makes me a bag of nerves with other peoples figures :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have certainly for the past ten years beeen a rigid adherent of black undercoat when using acryllics. Horses and general wood tones have been undercoated white prior to the application of "oils".
With the advent of "the Army Painters" varnish tones, I have been experimenting, very much in the vein of things in this thread espoused here by Clarence, and have to say, that the white undercoat (just as Barry iterates) brings out the colours in the finished artifact.

I am taking "Army Painter" a step further along their literature claims, and have embarked on horses and basic figure uniform tones being in "spray applied undercoat, varnished with their "varnish tones", then highlighted, in acryllics.

Early days yet, but dark and strong varnish does seem to have the similar
effect on "grey" horses as applying black oil over white and "wiping" it clean. Chestnut and browns are still in the experimental stage, but I can see a positive time saving in the application of spray painted undercoats here. As for human figures, too early to say but am confident result will be same as for horses.

Clarence's comments re his painting of "French Plastic Battalion" is unequivicoble. "The proof is in the pudding" - look at the photograph size and figure scale. His painting is admirable, and method - well, I for one am trying to emulate it. Well done Clarence :) , and certainly for me, an undercoat, whether black, white, or predominant base colour, will be a must for me unless I resort back to "basics"

Bob

PS Clarence - ur comments on scale and visual impact on the wargames table V's painting in detail - spot on, as a visual impact at a range of between 3 - 6 feet (ok 1 -2 metres) who needs to paint to painting competition standard :!: :!: :!: My compliments to Gordon Y of KWC who has already espoused this belief to me - he is not alone after all and - eye candy is in the eyes of the beholder - just get ur perspective right :!: :!: :!:
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."