Dutch Wars flags.

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
paulos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Dutch Wars flags.

Post by paulos » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Hello chaps

I am in need of some help and advice.

With the release of Copplestones new range I plan to game small scale actions set during the Dutch Wars using BLB. 8)

Are the flags of the Nine Years War/WSS ( French, Spanish, Dutch, Austrian, English, Scots, etc) suitable for these wars? Does anyone know of sources if they are not? I have been inable to find any. :?

While I like to be as acurate as possible I am not - about it and would be happy to use the later flags if there is no other info available. I would be interested on your thoughts on this.

Cheers Paul.
C'mon Wakey!
Mats
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Mats » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi Paul,

I think I have some 10+ Dutch flag descriptions from contemporary sources. I will post them later on.

Hope this helps,

Mats
Mats
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Mats » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:42 pm

OK, this is what I have right now, there's more to come.

Regiment Wassenaer-Sterrenburg, later Beaumont, also known as the Old Guards, 1668
Yellow flag, gold lion surrounded by a gold laurel wreath, surmounted by a ducal crown. The colonel uses the same design on a white flag.
Taken from `Vertoogh van de Krijghsoeffeningen`, 1668

Foot Guards, 1674
Orange flag, in the center the Order of the Garter with four W´s ('William III'), each surmounted by a princely crown, each one supercharged with two mirrored P´s. Above each crown a winged bomb, sprouting fire and lightning. The rest of the flag sprinkled with baroque ornaments: orange tree branches, bombs, in each corner a human head with a sword tip protruding from the mouth, pointing towards the center. All ornaments silver.
Taken from `Lijste van officiers en soldaten, die… etc.´, 1674. Flag taken at Seneffe, 1674

Regiment Aylva, 1674
Swiss style flames, alternate red and white. In the center a white cartouche lined with a gold trophy of arms, surmounted by a gold suit of arms. Inside the cartouche a gold monogram´HWA`('Hans Willem Aylva'). In the upper left corner the provincial arms of Friesland.
Taken from `Lijste van officiers en soldaten, die… etc.´, 1674. Flag taken at Seneffe, 1674

Regiment Schwartzenburg, 1672
Flag with a white cross. Upper left quarter 4 bends, pale yellow and black, upper right quarter 4 bends, pale yellow and red, lower left quarter 4 bends, red and white, lower right quarter 4 bends, blue and pale yellow. In the center the arms of Leeuwarden: blue, a gold lion rampant, above the shield a white helmet with yellow and blue mantling.
Cabinet des Estampes de la Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris / Collection de Ryoler

Regiment Schwartzenburg, 1674
Red flag, 8 black wavy piles, outlined yellow. The field sprinkled with gold apples. In the center `PRO DEO ET PATRIA` in gold. In the upper left corner the provincial arms of Friesland.

Regiment Brandenburg, 1674
Colonel´s colour. White flag, bordered with gold orange tree branches. A red eagle in the center, charged with a blue heart and clovers. Gold beak and claws. Above the eagle a ducal crown and a gold scroll with `NAUN VIRESQUE MINISTR`in black.

Gardes Friesland, 1672
12 Bends, alternate pale yellow and pale blue. In the center, within a green laurel wreath, the Nassau arms: blue, a gold crowned lion rampant, red claws and tongue. The shield sprinkled with gold bricks.
Cabinet des Estampes de la Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris / Collection de Ryoler

Hope this helps,

Mats
paulos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by paulos » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:53 am

Thanks Mats that's a big help.

Cheers Paul.
C'mon Wakey!
Eagleoftheninth
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Eagleoftheninth » Thu May 14, 2009 12:42 pm

If you can get hold of Wargames Illustrated issue no. 170 (November 2001) you will find a very useful illustrated article on William IIIs Dutch Infantry, which includes a few flags.

Andy
Mats
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Mats » Sun May 17, 2009 10:12 am

I forgot to mention the Terence Wise book ''Military Flags of the World in Colour (1618 - 1900)'', which also has some flags of the period. One of them is from a 1674 Brandenburg marine regiment in Dutch service.

Mats
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Sun May 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Mats,

Bolsey's Brandenburg Marine Regiment was not in Dutch service.

Regards,

Dan
Mats
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Mats » Sun May 17, 2009 6:30 pm

Dan,

According to my sources, Von Bolsey's marines were founded in 1674. The regiment was composed of 534 men -in 4 companies- and was formed in Den Briel (The Netherlands) in Dutch service. In June 1675 there were 569 men enlisted. The regiment took part in the action against the Carlsborg redoubt in September 1675, near Bremerhaven, their only feat of arms.

Sources:
Auerbach, Horst; "Preussens Weg zur See"; Berlin 1995
Petsch, Kurt; "Seefahrt für Brandenburg-Preussen 1650-1815"; Osnabrück 1986
Szymanski, Hans; "Brandenburg-Preußen zur See 1605-1815"; Leipzig 1939

Mats
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Sun May 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Mats,

I have no doubt that Bolsey's regiment was recruited and formed in the Netherlands, but they were a Brandenburg regiment and certainly not in Dutch service throughout their short history.

Jany, Curt Geschichte der Preussischen Armee vom 15. Jahrhundert bis 1914. Erster Band. Osnabrück, 1967.

Grossen Generalstabe. Urkundliche Beiträge und Forschungen zur Geschichte des Preussischen Heeres. Erstes Heft. Bad Honnef, 1983.

I suppose we will have to disagree.

Dan
Mats
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Mats » Mon May 25, 2009 11:26 am

Dan,

I have to agree with you, I've misinterpreted some of my sources. Although the marines were recruited in the Netherlands and their flags were made there, Von Bolsey's regiment was a Brandenburg regiment indeed.

Best regards,

Mats
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Mon May 25, 2009 2:12 pm

That's what I love about this period. :)

English/Scots in Dutch Service
Irish in French Service
Swiss in everybodys service
Hugoenots in English service and Dutch service
Danes in Dutch service
Irish in Spanish service
Germans in French service
etc,etc,etc
:?

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons