Good Day.

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Good Day.

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:38 am

Hi all,

I am just over sixty years old, recently returned to Motherwell after living in the South Pacific for the last twenty-odd years and have wargamed since I was about thirteen years old. I still have a copy of Donald Featherstone's seminal work "War Games" that I nicked, sorry "rescued from deterioration" from a local public library.

I wargame Napoleonic, American Civil War and WWII and have now just purchased a copy of BtLB despite swearing not to start another period. I also play several boardgames and contribute to BGG under the name oneilljgf.

I have been following the period and lurking around the fringes of the League of Augsburg through the pages of various wargame magazines and have now decided to take the plunge.

The rules are easy to follow and have enough detail to make the game enjoyable without bogging play down in a multitude of details. I have now read through them about half-a-dozen times. Does anyone else here have a fetish for reading rulebooks?

Before I start collecting figures - and there are plenty good ones around - I really need to know about compatability. I appreciate that Mr Hilton cannot really recommend one manufacturer over another but, for example, is a Front Rank figure similar enough in size and heft to say a Foundry figure to allow them to feature on the same base?

My only other question is that the base sizes of 45mm x 50mm look a tad tight. My last comment on the rules is that I appreciate Mr Hilton's lack of bias between the English and French when, in the rules, he gives base sizes in Metric and ranges in Imperial!

Any comments would be appreciated.

With warmest regards,

Jim O'Neill
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Good Day.

Post by obriendavid » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:55 am

CoffinDodger wrote: Before I start collecting figures - I really need to know about compatability for example, is a Front Rank figure similar enough in size and heft to say a Foundry figure to allow them to feature on the same base?
My only other question is that the base sizes of 45mm x 50mm look a tad tight. Jim O'Neill
Jim, welcome to the forum.
As regards figures size most of my Marlburian figures are Foundry which I attempted to add Front Rank into some units for variation but the FR figures are way too large to match. They are much taller and heftier but lovely figures and if I was starting the period now I would probably go with them but you might find the base size a bit tight for FR but it is OK for Foundry. The other range to have a look at are the Reiver Castings range of figures which again are a bit bigger than Foundry, especially their horses.

Hope this helps.
Dave
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:00 pm

David,

Thank you very much. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will go with Front Rank. Are Reiver figures compatable with these?

Regards,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Jim, sorry I can't help with that comparison but I'm sure there are others who can answer that question for you. Personally I'm not too keen on the Reiver figures as I feel there is too much animation for my taste, I much prefer Front Rank.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:41 pm

Jim,

only Strathclyde Police address me as Mr Hilton :wink:

I do have opinions and as I am certain some will atest, do not mind sharing them!

I am not a huge fan of Front Rank. I think their designs and sculpting are first class but the rank and file figure poses are often in my opinion wooden and slightly unfeasible.

I have somewhat gone off the Foundry figures which make up a large portion of my own collection and have always had a soft spot for the cartoonish Copplestone designed Dixons figures which first appeared over 20 years ago.
Reiver a good figures, big and in some cases the sculpting is a little rough but the units look very well when seen en masse.
Copplestone's new Louis XIV figures are very nice and you could get away with using many of them.

When all is said and done there is now a large range of manufactuers to choose from and as the quality is universally good you are not going to go wrong and it'll be pretty much down to personal choice!

They all die the same on the table :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:23 pm

barr7430 wrote:Jim,

only Strathclyde Police address me as Mr Hilton :wink:
Barry,

You're lucky, they refer to me as #1864123. :P

Thanks everyone for your replies. Much appreciated. I will keep you posted as to what direction I take with the figures.

Regards,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:51 pm

Ah, the old shelf full of never used rules... at least yours have been read!

Personally I mix Foundry, Dixon, Essex and Parkfield figures quite happily in the same units. I have some Reiver ones in seperate units but decided the difference in horse sizes was too much to have any of the cavalry. The Front Rank figures do look lovely (and they will doubtless complete a huge range) but style and sizewise they do not really match up. I suspect the same issue will apply to the Copplestone figures but I will still be hardpressed not to buy some!
Last edited by Adam Hayes on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:54 pm

i like the reiiver figues althogh as said there cavalry are on the large size but as they are cheaper than front rank and foundry they do the job.
Just out of interest if you are in Motherwell where do you do your gaming?

iain
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:41 pm

I prefer Front Rank. I think that the newer Reiver figures are quite nice though but they don't really mix well.
the new copplestone figures are very nice.
I have taken some photos but am crap at trying to get them onto the site.

I do agree that Front rank are a bit stiffer posed but i think that it suits the air of the period.

Jim W
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:01 pm

bibio wrote: ...Just out of interest if you are in Motherwell where do you do your gaming?
iain
Hi Iain,

Unfortunately just at home. There isn't a club nearby.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi jim
There are a few clubs which could be considered local if you have transport ,there is a club that meets in newarthill on a tuesday there are also anothertwoo in glasgow which also meet on a tuesday and then there is my own club which meets every second sunday -gdws.

iain
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 pm

Iain,

Transport is the problem. Despite hsving driven for over forty years, my last license was issued in Papua New Guinea and I would need to sit the test again. I couldn't be bothered. I have been back in Scotland for five years now and get around on public transport. The old bus pass is a boon too. Appeals to my miserly nature.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:26 pm

Gentlemen,

I am just about to embark on purchasing some lead and wish to thank all of you for your input.

I have decided on a combination of Front Rank and Reiver so, I have one last question only:

Are these ranges completely compatable in that I could have figures from each on the same base?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: I also like the look of the new Copplestone figures.

Regards,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:15 pm

I have both Front Rank and Reiver and would not put them on the same base/unit, the difference in style is too apparent, at least to me.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:40 am

I'd agree with Heneborn entirely. Definitely not in the same unit.
Jim W